- •Consumer engagement in living guidelines builds upon best practice in engagement.
- •Larger groups of consumers can mitigate workload challenges.
- •Guideline developers must pay continual attention to consumer turnover and support.
- •Living consumer engagement means the approach can grow and improve over time.
- •Improvements should be informed by living evaluation.
Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Living systematic reviews: 4. Living guideline recommendations.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 91: 47-53
- The Living Guidelines Handbook: Guidance for the production and publication of living clinical practice guidelines (version 1.0). Australian Living Evidence Consortium, 2022
- A living WHO guideline on drugs for covid-19.BMJ. 2020; 370: m3379
- Caring for people with COVID-19.2021
- COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing COVID-19.NICE, United Kingdom2021
- Developing and applying a 'living guidelines' approach to WHO recommendations on maternal and perinatal health.BMJ Glob Health. 2019; 4: e001683
- Bringing stroke clinical guidelines to life.Int J Stroke. 2019; 14: 337-339
- Clinical Guidelines for Stroke Management. Stroke Foundation, Melbourne, Australia2021
- Breathing life into Australian diabetes clinical guidelines.Med J Aust. 2020; 212: 250-251.e1
- Living Evidence for Diabetes Consortium. Australian evidence-based clinical guidelines for diabetes v1.3.(Available at)https://app.magicapp.org/#/guideline/E5AbPEDate: 2022Date accessed: January 20, 2023
- ANZMUSC. An Australian living guideline for the pharmacological management of inflammatory arthritis v2.6.(Available at)https://mskguidelines.orgDate: 2023Date accessed: January 20, 2023
- Clinical practice guidelines we can trust.in: Graham R. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)2011
- Guidelines for Guidelines Handbook.National Health and Medical Research Council, Canberra2020
- Patient and public involvement in clinical practice guidelines:A knowledge synthesis of existing programs.Med Decis Making. 2011; 31: E45-E74
- Framework for enhancing clinical practice guidelines through continuous patient engagement.Health Expect. 2017; 20: 3-10
- A new taxonomy for stakeholder engagement in patient-centered outcomes research.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 985-991
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Patient and public involvement policy.(Available at)https://www.nice.org.uk/about/nice-communities/nice-and-the-public/public-involvement/public-involvement-programme/patient-public-involvement-policyDate: 2022Date accessed: November 21, 2022
- Weekly updates of national living evidence-based guidelines: methods for the Australian living guidelines for care of people with COVID-19.J Clin Epidemiol. 2021; 131: 11-21
- Health promotion, inequalities and young people’s health: A systematic review of research.EPPI-Centre, University of London, London2008
- GRIPP2 reporting checklists: tools to improve reporting of patient and public involvement in research.BMJ. 2017; 358: j3453
- Development of the ACTIVE framework to describe stakeholder involvement in systematic reviews.J Health Serv Res Policy. 2019; 24: 245-255
- Living Stroke Guidelines Evaluation.The Stroke Foundation. Australian Institute of Health Innovation., Sydney, Australia2021
- Improving the use of research evidence in guideline development: 12. Incorporating considerations of equity.Health Res Policy Syst. 2006; 4: 24
- The Australian living guidelines for the clinical care of people with COVID-19: what worked, what didn't and why, a mixed methods process evaluation.PLoS One. 2022; 17: e0261479
- COVID-19 rapid guideline: managing the long-term effects of COVID-19.NICE, United Kingdom2020
- International Association for Public Participation Australasia. Quality assurance standard for community and stakeholder engagement.(Available at)https://iap2.org.au/resources/spectrum/Date: 2015Date accessed: November 21, 2022
National Institute for Health Research, et al., National standards for public involvement in research V1. 2018, NIHR: United Kingdom.
- Guidelines international network. GIN public toolkit: patient and public involvement in guidelines.(Available at:)https://g-i-n.net/toolkit/Date: 2021
- Broadening the diversity of consumers engaged in guidelines: a scoping review.BMJ Open. 2022; 12: e058326
- How to recruit and support patients and the public, and overcome barriers to their involvement in guideline development.in: GIN Public Toolkit: Patient and public involvement in guidelines. Guidelines International Network, Scotland2021
- Guidelines for guidelines: consumer involvement.2020: 1-16 (Available at)https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelinesforguidelines/plan/consumer-involvementDate accessed: November 23, 2021
- Training curriculum to help patient representatives participate meaningfully in the development of clinical practice guidelines.BMJ Evid Based Med. 2019; 24: 227-230
- Monitoring and evaluation of patient involvement in clinical practice guideline development: lessons from the Multidisciplinary Guideline for Employment and Severe Mental Illness, The Netherlands.Health Expect. 2015; 19: 471-482
- Clinical guidelines: involving patients and users of services.J Clin Effectiveness. 1996; 1: 104-112
- Understanding optimal approaches to patient and caregiver engagement in the development of cancer practice guidelines: a mixed methods study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 186
- Facilitators and barriers to service user involvement in mental health guidelines: lessons from The Netherlands.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41: 712-723
- Patient and public involvement in clinical guidelines: international experiences and future perspectives.Qual Saf Health Care. 2010; 19: e22
- Patient and caregiver involvement in the formulation of guideline questions: findings from the European Academy of Neurology guideline on palliative care of people with severe multiple sclerosis.Eur J Neurol. 2019; 26: 41-50
- People with lived experience at the centre of Canadian stroke best practice recommendations: a model for guideline developers.J Patient Experience. 2020; 7: 951-956
- An empirical study of patient participation in guideline development: exploring the potential for articulating patient knowledge in evidence-based epistemic settings.Health Expect. 2013; 18: 942-955
- Patient involvement in guidelines is poor five years after institute of medicine standards: review of guideline methodologies.Res Involvement Engagement. 2017; 3: 19
- Engaging stakeholders to inform clinical practice guidelines that address multiple chronic conditions.JGIM: J Gen Intern Med. 2017; 32: 883-890
- Consumer involvement in topic and outcome selection in the development of clinical practice guidelines.Health Expect. 2012; 15: 410-423
- When patients write the guidelines: patient panel recommendations for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016; 68: 26-35
- Participant experiences with a new online modified-delphi approach for engaging patients and caregivers in developing clinical guidelines.Eur J Pers Cent Healthc. 2019; 7: 476-489
- People with lived experience at the centre of Canadian stroke best practice recommendations: a model for guideline developers.J Patient Experience. 2020; : 951-956
- Living systematic review: 1. Introduction—the why, what, when, and how.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 91: 23-30
- Guidance on co-producing a research project.National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Southampton2018
- Shortening and validation of the Patient Engagement in Research Scale (PEIRS) for measuring meaningful patient and family caregiver engagement.Health Expect. 2021; 24: 863-879
- The patient engagement evaluation tool was valid for clinical practice guideline development.J Clin Epidemiol. 2022; 143: 61-72
- Involving people with learning disabilities in guideline development.Patient. 2020; 13: 251-254
- Key principles to guide development of consumer medicine information--content analysis of information design texts.Ann Pharmacother. 2009; 43: 700-706
- The Guideline Language and Format Instrument (GLAFI): development process and international needs assessment survey.Implementation Sci. 2022; 17: 47
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: This article was not externally funded. Funding for the five living guidelines is outlined below. The National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce is supported by Australian Government Department of Health, Victorian Government Department of Health and Human Services, The Ian Potter Foundation, Walter Cottman Endowment Fund (managed by Equity Trustees), and Lord Mayors’ Charitable Foundation. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence receives funding from the Department of Health and Social Care in England. The stroke guideline was funded by the Australian Government through the Medical Research Future Fund during a 3-year establishment project (2018–2021). The guidelines are currently supported internally by the Stroke Foundation. The Australian Evidence-Based Clinical Guidelines for Diabetes is supported by Australian Diabetes Society, Diabetes Australia, Australian Diabetes Educators Association, Australasian Pediatric Endocrine Group, and the Australian Government Department of Health. The Australian Living Guideline for the Pharmacological Management of Inflammatory Arthritis is supported by the Australian Government's Value in prescribing program grant, managed by the Targeted Therapies Alliance, a consortium coordinated by NPS MedicineWise. SW is supported by an Australia and New Zealand Musculoskeletal Clinical Trial Network Practitioner Fellowship and RB is supported by an Australian National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Investigator Fellowship (APP1194483).
Declaration of interests: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this article.