Background and Objectives
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Expert guidance on acupoint stimulation to prevent postoperative nausea and vomiting.J Clin Anesth. 2019; 35
- Use of electroacupuncture and transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation in reproductive medicine:a group consensus.J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2017; 18: 186-193
- Clinical application guideline of traditional Chinese medicine pulmonary rehabilitation therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.J Chin Med. 2021; 62: 2018-2024
- Acupuncture research has great promise: from the NIH hearing on acupuncture therapy.Chin J Integrated Traditional West Med. 1998; 10: 87-89
- WHO traditional medicine strategy: 2014-2023.WHO, Geneva Switzerland2013
- Effect of electroacupuncture vs sham treatment on change in pain severity among adults with chronic low back pain: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2022787
- Effect of electroacupuncture on urinary leakage among women with stress urinary incontinence: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 317: 2493
- Manual acupuncture versus sham acupuncture and usual care for prophylaxis of episodic migraine without aura: multicentre, randomised clinical trial.BMJ. 2020; 368: m697
- Comparative analysis of western acupuncture and Chinese acupuncture.Liaoning J TCM. 2015; 42: 3
- Trying to solve the confusion of modern clinical research on acupuncture therapy.Chin J Integrated Traditional West Med. 2016; 36: 5
- Acupuncture for myofascial pain syndrome: a network meta-analysis of 33 randomized controlled trials.Pain Physician. 2017; 20: E883
- Reporting characteristics and risk of bias in randomised controlled trials of acupuncture analgesia published in PubMed-listed journals.Acupunct Med. 2017; 35: 259-267
- Informing a decision framework for when NICE should recommend the use of health technologies only in the context of an appropriately designed programme of evidence development.Health Technol Assess. 2012; 16: 1-323
- Is network meta-analysis as valid as standard pairwise meta-analysis? It all depends on the distribution of effect modifiers.Bmc Med. 2013; 11: 159
- Systematic reviews, overviews of reviews and comparative effectiveness reviews: a discussion of approaches to knowledge synthesis.Evid Based Child Health. 2014; 9: 486-494
- Potential uses of Bayesian networks as tools for synthesis of systematic reviews of complex interventions.Res Synth Methods. 2014; 5: 1-12
- Network meta-analysis for comparing treatment effects of multiple interventions: an introduction.Rheumatol Int. 2014; 34: 1489-1496
- Multiple treatment and indirect treatment comparisons: an overview of network meta-analysis.Perspect Clin Res. 2014; 5: 154-158
- Network meta-analysis for indirect treatment comparisons.Statist Med. 2002; 21: 2313-2324
- The uptake of Bayesian methods in biomedical meta-analyses: a scoping review (2005-2016).J Evid Based Med. 2019; 12: 69-75
- The quality of evidence in Chinese meta-analyses needs to be improved.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 74: 73-79
- The methodological quality of robotic surgical meta-analyses needed to be improved: a cross-sectional study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 109: 20-29
- The quality of reporting methods and results in network meta-analyses: an overview of reviews and suggestions for improvement.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e92508
- Network meta-analyses could be improved by searching more sources and by involving a librarian.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 1001-1007
- Analysis of the systematic reviews process in reports of network meta-analyses: methodological systematic review.BMJ. 2013; 347: f3675
- GRADE guidelines: 15. Going from evidence to recommendation—determinants of a recommendation's direction and strength.Z Evidenz Fortbildung Qualitat Im Gesundheitswesen. 2013; 66: 726-735
- On the need for increased rigour and care in the conduct and interpretation of network meta-analyses in drug development.Pharm Stat. 2016; 15: 135-142
- Network meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials: reporting the proper summaries.Clin Trials. 2014; 11: 246-262
- Review of mixed treatment comparisons in published systematic reviews shows marked increase since 2009.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 138-143
- AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both.BMJ. 2017; 358: j4008
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
- The PRISMA extension statement for reporting of systematic reviews incorporating network meta-analyses of health care interventions: checklist and explanations.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 777-784
- The quality of methodological and reporting in network meta-analysis of acupuncture and moxibustion: a cross-sectional survey.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2021; 2021: 1-15
- Critical evaluation of reporting quality of network meta-analyses assessing the effectiveness of acupuncture.Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2021; 45: 101459
- Acupuncture.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 20
- Acupuncture and acupressure in labor.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2017; 62: 12-28
- Laser acupuncture: past, present, and future.Lasers Med Sci. 2004; 19: 69-80
- Association between prospective registration and overall reporting and methodological quality of systematic reviews: a meta-epidemiological study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 93: 45-55
- Epidemiology characteristics, methodological assessment and reporting of statistical analysis of network meta-analyses in the field of cancer.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 37208
- The methodological and reporting quality of systematic reviews from China and the USA are similar.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 85: 50-58
- Reporting quality of N-of-1 trials published between 1985 and 2013: a systematic review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 76: 57-64
- The global evidence mapping initiative: scoping research in broad topic areas.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2011; 11: 92
- Reporting and methodological quality of COVID-19 systematic reviews needs to be improved: an evidence mapping.J Clin Epidemiol. 2021; 135: 17-28
- Writing and reporting of network meta-analysis.Chin J Drug Eval. 2013; 30: 333
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews of biomedical research: a cross-sectional study.PLoS Med. 2016; 13: e1002028
- Network meta-analysis of five acupuncture treatments for lumbar disc herniation.J Hainan Med Univ. 2020; 26: 42-48
- A reticular meta-analysis of cervical spondylotic radiculopathy with different acupuncture treatments.J Yunnan Univ Traditional Chin Med. 2020; 43: 59-68
- Nonhormonal hot flash management for breast cancer survivors: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2020; 2020: 4243175
- Waste in covid-19 research.BMJ. 2020; 369: m1847
- Risk of bias assessments and reporting quality of systematic reviews and randomized controlled trials examining acupuncture for depression: an overview and meta-epidemiology study.J Evid Based Med. 2020; 13: 25-33
- Evidence based social science in China paper 2: the quality of social science RCTs published from 2000–2020.J Clin Epidemiol. 2022; 141: 64-73
- Research on traditional acupuncture therapies and modern acupuncture application techniques.J Chin Aesthet Med. 2011; 20: 462-463
- Based on evidence to establish reporting guidelines for TCM-featured acupuncture systematic reviews/Meta-analysis:a methodology discussion.Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2014; 34: 1231-1234
Co-first authors: Yan Wang and Nan Chen.
Funding: This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China : “Reporting Quality Assessment and Key Methods Research for Network Meta-analysis about Acupuncture” (Grant Number: 82004203 ).
Ethics approval and consent to participate: Not applicable.
Consent for publication: All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Availability of data and material: Not applicable.
Declaration of interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.
Author Contributions: XXL and KHY initiated and designed the study, with contributions from YW, NC, YFL, and KLG contributed to the design of the search strategy. FFE, CQY, and XS reviewed the search results assisted from YW and NC. YFL did data extraction, assisted by KLG, FFE, CQY, and YLC. YW, NC, YFL, and KLG analyzed the data and interpreted the results. YW and NC wrote the first draft of the manuscript. YW, NC, XXL, YFL, and KHY revised the final manuscript and all authors approved the final version for submission.