- •Multimorbidity is not an exclusive phenomenon of older adults; however, current research largely focuses on adult multimorbidity.
- •Evidence that characterizes and promotes understanding of multimorbidity in childhood and adolescence is lacking.
- •Children and adolescents should be given a voice by being involved in research relevant to their health.
- •The quality and breadth of epidemiological research in child and adolescent health is poor.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Comorbidity or multimorbidity.Eur J Gen Pract. 1996; 2: 65-70
- Multimorbidity.Technical Series on Safer Primary Care. World Health Organization, Geneva2016
- Diseases, injuries, and risk factors in child and adolescent health, 1990 to 2017: Findings from the global burden of diseases, injuries, and risk factors 2017 study.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: e190337
- The child with medical complexity.Ital J Pediatr. 2021; 47: 1-7
- Global health estimates 2020: disease burden by cause, age, sex, by country and by region, 2000-2019.(Available at:)https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/mortality-and-global-health-estimates/global-health-estimates-leading-causes-of-dalysDate: 2020Date accessed: November 11, 2021
- Burden of disability in children and adolescents must be integrated into the global health agenda.BMJ. 2021; 372: n9
- Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: a cross-sectional study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 37-43
- Prevalence, hospital admissions and costs of child chronic conditions: a population-based study.J Paediatr Child Health. 2020; 56: 1365-1370
- Australia’s children.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2020https://doi.org/10.25816/5ebca4d0fa7dd (Available at)https://search.datacite.org/repositories/ardcx.aihw?query=10.25816%2F5ebca4d0fa7ddDate accessed: November 11, 2021
Multimorbidity: a priority for global health research. The Academy of Medical Sciences; 2018. Available at https://acmedsci.ac.uk/policy/policy-projects/multimorbidity 2018. Accessed November 11, 2021.
- The incidence of multimorbidity and patterns in accumulation of chronic conditions: a systematic review.J Comorb. 2021; 11: 1-21
- Multimorbidity: the case for prevention.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2021; 75: 242-244
- Multimorbidity in children and youth across the life-course (MY LIFE): protocol of a Canadian prospective study.BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e034544
- A conceptual framework for the developmental origins of health and disease.J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2010; 1: 6-18
- Multimorbidity in early childhood and socioeconomic disadvantage: Findings from a large New Zealand child cohort.Acad Pediatr. 2020; 20: 619-627
- Mental disorder in children with physical conditions: a pilot study.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: e019011
- Comorbidity patterns and socioeconomic inequalities in children under 15 with medical complexity: a population-based study.BMC Pediatr. 2020; 20: 358-367
- Socioeconomic inequities patterns of multi-morbidity in early adolescence.Int J Equity Health. 2013; 12: 65-76
- Early-life predictors of future multi-morbidity: results from the Hertfordshire Cohort.Age Ageing. 2018; 47: 474-478
- Disadvantage in early-life and persistent asthma in adolescents: a UK cohort study.Thorax. 2021; : 1-11
- Psychosocial complexity in multimorbidity: the legacy of adverse childhood experiences.Fam Pract. 2015; 32 ([published Online First: 21 April 2015]): 269-275
- Overdiagnosis: how our compulsion for diagnosis may be harming children.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: 1013-1023
- Underdiagnosis of hypertension in children and adolescents.JAMA. 2007; 298: 874-879
- What is polypharmacy? A systematic review of definitions.BMC Geriatr. 2017; 17: 230-239
- Defining pediatric polypharmacy: a scoping review.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0208047
- Paediatric pharmacokinetics and drug doses.Aust Prescr. 2016; 39: 208-210
- An integrated model of multimorbidity and symptom science.Nurs Outlook. 2020; 68: 430-439
- Safety in children with medical complexity: our Canaries in the coal mine?.Curr Treat Options Peds. 2019; 5: 165-182
- Complexity in pediatric primary care.Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2018; 20: e59
- Identifying multimorbidity patterns of non-communicable diseases in paediatric inpatients: a cross-sectional study in Shanghai, China.BMJ Open. 2021; 11: e042679
- Prevalence and Correlates of physical-mental multimorbidity in outpatient children from a pediatric hospital in Canada.Can J Psychiatry. 2022; 67 (7067437221074430): 626-637
- Epidemiology of mental disorders in children and adolescents.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2009; 11: 7-20
- Association between mental disorders and physical diseases in adolescents from a nationally representative cohort.Psychosom Med. 2015; 77: 319-332
- Ways to identify children with medical complexity and the importance of why.J Pediatr. 2015; 167 ([published Online First: 28 May 2015]): 229-237
- Physical-mental multimorbidity in children and youth: a scoping review.BMJ Open. 2021; 11: e043124
- Using routine health information data for research in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review.BMC Health Serv Res. 2020; 20: 790
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27
- Evaluation of two competing methods for calculating Charlson's Comorbidity Index when analyzing short-term mortality using administrative data.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 50: 903-908
- Estimating the prevalence of chronic conditions in children who die in England, Scotland and Wales: a data linkage cohort study.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e005331
- Development of pediatric comorbidity prediction model.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 293-299
- Protocol for developing a core outcome set for evaluating school-based physical activity interventions in primary schools.BMJ Open. 2019; 9: e031868
- Health-related quality of life in children with and without physical-mental multimorbidity.Qual Life Res. 2021; 30: 3449-3461
- Ethics and patient and public involvement with children and young people.Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2019; 104: 195-200
- Isolated and struggling: social isolation and the risk of child maltreatment, in lockdown and beyond.National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, London2020
- Patient and Public Involvement of young people with a chronic condition in projects in health and social care: a scoping review.Health Expect. 2020; 23: 789-801
- Cohort profile: the western Australian pregnancy cohort (raine) study-generation 2.Int J Epidemiol. 2017; 46: 1384-1385j
- Introducing the ORIGINS Project: a community-based interventional birth cohort.Rev Environ Health. 2020; 35: 281-293
- Children: new threats to health 2020.(Available at:)https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/children-new-threats-to-healthDate accessed: July 2, 2021
Author contributions: Conceptualization: Marjan van den Akker, Mohammad Akhtar Hussain, and Judith M Katzenellenbogen. Supervision: Marjan van den Akker. Writing–original draft: Marjan van den Akker, Mirjam Dieckelmann, and Mohammad Akhtar Hussain. Writing–review and editing: Daniela Bond-Smith, Christiane Muth, Sanghamitra Pati, Sonia Saxena, Desiree Silva, Rachel Skoss, Leon Straker, Sandra C Thompson, Mohammad Akhtar Hussain, and Judith M Katzenellenbogen.
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. S.S. is funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) , School for Public Health Research (SPHR) Grant Reference Number PD-SPH-2015 and the NIHR Northwest London Applied Research Collaboration (ARC). M.v.d.A. is funded by INSIGHT Health GmbH & Co. KG.