Background and Objectives
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- About medRxiv.(Available at)https://www.medrxiv.org/content/about-medrxivDate accessed: August 1, 2021
- Assessment of preprint policies of top-ranked clinical journals.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3: e2011127
- Rise of the preprint: how rapid data sharing during COVID-19 has changed science forever.Nat Med. 2022; 28: 2-5
- The evolving role of preprints in the dissemination of COVID-19 research and their impact on the science communication landscape.PLoS Biol. 2021; 19: e3000959
- Rustan E. Use of preprint in the publication of the scientific papers. Journal of physics: conference series. IOP Publishing, Makassar, Indonesia2021
- What are conflicts of interest/competing interests, declaration of interest statements, funding source declaration, author agreements/declaration and permission notes?.(Available at)https://service.elsevier.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/286/c/10527/supporthub/publishing/Date: 2021Date accessed: January 29, 2021
- Committee on conflict of interest in medical research E, and practice. Conflict of interest in medical research, education, and practice.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2009
- Comparing quality of reporting between preprints and peer-reviewed articles in the biomedical literature.Res Integrity Peer Rev. 2020; 5: 1-19
- Cross-sectional study of preprints and final journal publications from COVID-19 studies: discrepancies in results reporting and spin in interpretation.BMJ Open. 2021; 11: e051821
- Policies of biomedical preprint servers on conflicts of interest, authorship, and research integrity lacked important details.J Clin Epidemiol. 2022; 146: 47-59
- Public health journals’ requirements for authors to disclose funding and conflicts of interest: a cross-sectional study.BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 1-9
- The policies for the disclosure of funding and conflict of interest in Surgery journals: a cross-sectional survey.World J Surg. 2021; 45: 97-108
- Requirements of health policy and services journals for authors to disclose financial and non-financial conflicts of interest: a cross-sectional study.Health Res Pol Syst. 2017; 15: 1-8
- Requirements of clinical journals for authors’ disclosure of financial and non-financial conflicts of interest: a cross sectional study.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0152301
- Reporting of conflicts of interest by authors of primary studies on health policy and systems research: a cross-sectional survey.BMJ Open. 2020; 10: e032425
- The reporting of funding in health policy and systems research: a cross-sectional study.Health Res Policy Syst. 2018; 16: 1-8
- List of preprint servers: policies and practices across platforms: ASAPbio.(Available at)https://asapbio.org/preprint-serversDate: 2021Date accessed: July 11, 2021
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95: 103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Tracking changes between preprint posting and journal publication during a pandemic.PLoS Biol. 2022; 20: e3001285
- Changes in evidence for studies assessing interventions for COVID-19 reported in preprints: meta-research study.BMC Med. 2020; 18: 1-10
- ICMJE. Overlapping.(Available at)http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/publishing-and-editorial-issues/overlapping-publications.html#threeDate accessed: January 15, 2021
Ethical Approval: The study involves no human subjects and requires no ethical approval.
Competing interests: JK and EAA conducted studies on the topic of COI. All other authors declare no conflict of interests.
Funding: This research did not receive any funding.
Author Contributions: EAA conceived the study. DI, LH, ARAH, JK and EAA designed the study. DI, JK, and EAA coordinated different parts of the study. DI, RI, and LH performed literature reviews. DI developed the data abstraction form. DI, GL, RI, TEG, LH, and ARAH extracted and compared the data. DI and TEG performed data cleaning, analyzed and interpreted the data. DI, GL, and RI wrote the first draft of the manuscript. All authors critically revised and approved the final manuscript. DI and LH were involved in this research under the Medical Research Volunteer Program (MRVP) at the American University of Beirut. EAA had full access to all of the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis. EAA affirms that this manuscript is an honest, accurate and transparent account of the study being reported and that no important aspects of the study have been omitted.