Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't.BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-72
- Guidelines 2.0: systematic development of a comprehensive checklist for a successful guideline enterprise.CMAJ. 2014; 186: E123-E142
- GRADE guidelines: 20. Assessing the certainty of evidence in the importance of outcomes or values and preferences-inconsistency, imprecision, and other domains.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 111: 83-93
- GRADE Guidelines: 19. Assessing the certainty of evidence in the importance of outcomes or values and preferences-Risk of bias and indirectness.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 111: 94-104
- How to integrate individual patient values and preferences in clinical practice guidelines? A research protocol.Implement Sci. 2010; 5: 10
- A systematic review of how patients value COPD outcomes.Eur Respir J. 2018; 52: 1800222
- Health-state utility values in breast cancer.Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2010; 10: 553-566
- Health-state utilities in liver disease: a systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2008; 28: 582-592
- Patient values and preferences regarding VTE disease: a systematic review to inform American Society of Hematology guidelines.Blood Adv. 2020; 4: 953-968
- The burden of neuropathic pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of health utilities.Pain. 2010; 149: 338-344
- A systematic review of health state utility values for osteoporosis-related conditions.Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 768-776
- Core Outcome Measures in Effectiveness Trials (COMET) initiative: protocol for an international Delphi study to achieve consensus on how to select outcome measurement instruments for outcomes included in a ‘core outcome set’.Trials. 2014; 15: 247
- GRADE guidelines: 15. Going from evidence to recommendation-determinants of a recommendation's direction and strength.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 726-735
- Summary-of-findings tables in Cochrane reviews improved understanding and rapid retrieval of key information.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 620-626
- GRADE guidelines: 12. Preparing summary of findings tables-binary outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 158-172
- GRADE guidelines: 1. Introduction-GRADE evidence profiles and summary of findings tables.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 383-394
- Chapter 11: presenting results and ‘Summary of findings' tables. 2008. In: Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 510 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane Collaboration.(Available at)https://handbook-5-1.cochrane.org/chapter_11/11_presenting_results_and_summary_of_findings_tables.htmDate accessed: October 1, 2021
- Decision-making about healthcare related tests and diagnostic strategies: user testing of GRADE evidence tables.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0134553
- Use of GRADE for assessment of evidence about prognosis: rating confidence in estimates of event rates in broad categories of patients.BMJ. 2015; 350: h870
- User testing and stakeholder feedback contributed to the development of understandable and useful Summary of Findings tables for Cochrane reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 607-619
- Development of the summary of findings table for network meta-analysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 115: 1-13
- Chapter 14: completing ‘Summary of findings’ tables and grading the certainty of the evidence.in: Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Li T. Page M.J. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 60 (updated July 2019). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (UK)2019
- User Experience Design: Sematic Studios LLC.(Available at)http://www.semanticstudios.com/publications/semantics/000029.phpDate: 2004Date accessed: October 1, 2021
- Refining the test phase of usability evaluation: how many subjects is enough?.Hum Factors. 1992; 34: 457-468
- Whatever happened to qualitative description?.Res Nurs Health. 2000; 23: 334-340
- Developing and refining interventions in persons with health disparities: the use of qualitative description.Nurs Outlook. 2005; 53: 127-133
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- The qualitative content analysis process.J Adv Nurs. 2008; 62: 107-115
- Patient values and preferences in decision making for antithrombotic therapy: a systematic review: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed.: American College of chest physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: e1S-e23
- Utilization and perceived problems of online medical resources and search tools among different groups of European physicians.J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15: e122
- Update on the JCE GRADE series and other GRADE article types.J Clin Epidemiol. 2021; 140: 163-164
Ethics Approval and Consent to participate: This study was approved by the Hamilton Health Sciences/Faculty of Health Sciences Research Ethics Board at McMaster University. We followed the ethical conduct of research involving humans according to the Tri Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans.
Consent for publication: Not applicable.
Availability of data and materials: The datasets supporting the conclusions of this article are included within the article and its additional file.
Authors’ Contributions: YZ, JJYN, RLM, PA, GG, HJS designed the methodology for this project. YZ conducted the user testing; JJYN, HPH, PA, GG, HJS provided suggestions as core advisory group for adaptation of the summary of findings table; MR and RDM transcribed the recorded interviews; YZ and SAL conducted the data analysis. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Competing interests: All authors declared no financial relationships with any organisations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous 3 years, no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work. Authors are members of the GRADE Working Group, HJS is co-chair of the GRADE Working Group.
Funding: This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. It was funded through internal research funds at McMaster University available to HJS.
Credit author statement: Yuan Zhang–Methodology, Validation, Formal Analysis, Investigation, Data Curation, Writing - Original Draft, Writing - Review & Editing, Visualization, Project administration, Shelly-Anne Li - Formal Analysis Writing - Review & Editing, Juan Jose Yepes-Nunez - Methodology, Validation, Formal Analysis, Investigation, Data Curation, Writing - Review & Editing, Rebecca L. Morgan - Methodology, Writing - Review & Editing, Hector Pardo-Hernandez - Methodology, Writing - Review & Editing, Pablo Alonso Coello - Methodology, Writing - Review & Editing, Melody Ren–transcription of interviews, Writing - Review & Editing, Reza D Mirza–transcription of interviews, Writing - Review & Editing, Gordon Guyatt - Methodology, Writing - Review & Editing, Holger J. Schünemann - Conceptualization, Methodology, Validation, Investigation, Writing - Review & Editing, Visualization.