Study Design and Setting
- Patient and public attitudes to and awareness of clinical practice guidelines: a systematic review with thematic and narrative syntheses.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14: 321
- Consumer response to healthy eating, physical activity and weight-related recommendations: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 606-617
- A conceptual framework for patient-directed knowledge tools to support patient-centred care: Results from an evidence-informed consensus meeting.Patient Educ Couns. 2019; 102: 1898-1904
- Strategies for disseminating recommendations or guidelines to patients: a systematic review.Implement Sci. 2016; 11: 82
- Dissemination of clinical practice guidelines: a content analysis of patient versions.Med Decis Making. 2016; 36: 692-702
- Choosing wisely: assessment of current US top five list recommendations' trustworthiness using a pragmatic approach.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012366
- Clinical practice guidelines and patient decision aids: an inevitable relationship.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 584-589
- Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2004; 328: 1490
- Standards for reporting qualitative research: a synthesis of recommendations.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 1245-1251
- Improving the user experience of patient versions of clinical guidelines: user testing of a Scottish Intercollegiate Guideline Network (SIGN) patient version.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 37
Group G-I-NPW. G-I-N PublicToolkit: Patient and Public Involvement in Guidelines 2015. Available from: https://g-i-n.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GIN-TOOLKIT-COMBINED-FINAL-2015.pdf, Accessed: 2021 October 06.
- Oxman AD. User testing and stakeholder feedback contributed to the development of understandable and useful Summary of Findings tables for Cochrane reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 607-619
- Three approaches to qualitative content analysis.Qual Health Res. 2005; 15: 1277-1288
- The reporting checklist for public versions of guidelines: RIGHT-PVG.Implement Sci. 2021; 16: 10
- Patients, health information, and guidelines: a focus-group study.Scand J Prim Health Care. 2015; 33: 212-219
- Narrative interventions for health screening behaviours: a systematic review.J Health Psychol. 2017; 22: 375-393
- Might" or "suggest"? no wording approach was clearly superior in conveying the strength of recommendation.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 65: 268-275
Lomotan EA, Michel G, Lin Z, Shiffman RN. How "should" we write guideline recommendations? Interpretation of deontic terminology in clinical practice guidelines: survey of the health services community. Qual Saf Health Care. 2010;19(6):509-13.
- A guide for health professionals to interpret and use recommendations in guidelines developed with the GRADE approach.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 72: 45-55
- A summary to communicate evidence from systematic reviews to the public improved understanding and accessibility of information: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 182-190
- What the evidence shows about patient activation: better health outcomes and care experiences; fewer data on costs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 207-214
- Health literacy and patient empowerment in health communication: the importance of separating conjoined twins.Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 90: 4-11
- Don't throw away your printed books: a meta-analysis on the effects of reading media on reading comprehension.Rev Educ Res. 2018; 25: 23-38
Funding: This work was supported by the Labarge Optimal Aging Initiative. No restrictions were placed on publication of the work.
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.