- •The first study to compare performance of the ECS and CCI comorbidity scores in predicting ACS outcomes.
- •ECS had superior prognostic value compared to the CCI in terms of statistical performance of models predicting all in-hospital outcomes.
- •ECS should be routinely adopted in clinical practice to inform the risk stratification and management of ACS.
Study Design and Setting
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2020 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e139-e596https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000757
- Prevalence, expenditures, and complications of multiple chronic conditions in the elderly.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 2269-2276
- Frailty and other geriatric conditions for risk stratification of older patients with acute coronary syndrome.Am Heart J. 2014; 168 (e2): 784-791
- Frailty and outcome in elderly patients with acute coronary syndrome.Can J Cardiol. 2013; 29: 1610-1615
- Comorbidity.in: Hersen M Sledge W Encyclopedia of psychotherapy. Academic Press, New York2002: 475-479
- The influence of Elixhauser comorbidity index on percutaneous coronary intervention outcomes.Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2019; 94: 195-203
- Impact of Charlson co-morbidity index score on management and outcomes after acute coronary syndrome.Am J Cardiol. 2020; 130: 15-23
- Temporal trends in comorbidity burden and impact on prognosis in patients with acute coronary syndrome using the Elixhauser comorbidity index score.Am J Cardiol. 2020; 125: 1603-1611https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2020.02.044
- Prognosis of cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular multimorbidity after acute coronary syndrome.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0195174
- The impact of cardiac and noncardiac comorbidities on the short-term outcomes of patients hospitalized with acute myocardial infarction: a population-based perspective.Clinical Epidemiology. 2013; 5: 439
- The addition of the Charlson comorbidity index to the GRACE risk prediction index improves prediction of outcomes in acute coronary syndrome.Population Health Manage. 2014; 17: 54-59
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases.J Clin Epidemiol. 1992; 45: 613-619https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(92)90133-8
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Clin Epidemiol. 1987; 40: 373-383
- A modification of the Elixhauser comorbidity measures into a point system for hospital death using administrative data.Med Care. 2009; : 626-633
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; 36: 8-27https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199801000-00004
- Comparing the performance of the Charlson/Deyo and Elixhauser comorbidity measures across five European countries and three conditions.Eur J Public Health. 2015; 25: 15-20
- Comparison of the Elixhauser and Charlson/Deyo methods of comorbidity measurement in administrative data.Med Care. 2004; : 355-360
- Comparison of different comorbidity measures for use with administrative data in predicting short-and long-term mortality.BMC Health Serv Res. 2010; 10: 1-7
- Healthcare cost and utilization project (HCUP). 2004-2014. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2014
- Multiple imputation by chained equations: what is it and how does it work?.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2011; 20: 40-49
- Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 377-399https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4067
Rubin DB. Multiple imputation for survey nonresponse. 1987.
- Outcome-sensitive multiple imputation: a simulation study.BMC Med Res Method. 2017; 17: 2https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-016-0281-5
- Receiver-operating characteristic (ROC) plots: a fundamental evaluation tool in clinical medicine.Clin Chem. 1993; 39: 561-577
- A new look at the statistical model identification.IEEE Trans Autom Control. 1974; 19: 716-723https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.1974.1100705
- AIC and BIC for modeling with complex survey data.J Survey Stat Methodol. 2015; 3: 1-18
- Estimating the dimension of a model.Ann Stat. 1978; 6: 461-464
- Interpreting statistics with confidence.Obstetrician Gynaecol. 2002; 4: 176-180https://doi.org/10.1576/toag.2002.4.3.176
Frost J. Using confidence intervals to compare means.2019. https://statisticsbyjim.com/hypothesis-testing/confidence-intervals-compare-means/. Accessed Oct 4, 2020.
Anderson D, Burnham K. AIC myths and misunderstandings. April, 2006. https://sites.warnercnr.colostate.edu/anderson/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2016/11/AIC-Myths-and-Misunderstandings.pdf . Accessed Jan 30, 2021.
- AIC and BIC: Comparisons of assumptions and performance.Sociol Methods Res. 2004; 33: 188-229https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124103262065
- Multimodel inference: Understanding AIC and BIC in model selection.Sociol Methods Res. 2004; 33: 261-304
Lumley T. Survey: Analysis of complex survey samples. R package version 4.0. 2020.
- Comparison of the performance of two comorbidity measures, with and without information from prior hospitalizations.Med Care. 2001; 39: 727-739
- Too much covariates in a multivariable model may cause the problem of overfitting.J Thorac Dis. 2014; 6: E196-E197https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2014.08.33
- The cost of dichotomising continuous variables.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1080https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.332.7549.1080
- 2020 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation [eur heart J 2020;doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa575].Eur Heart J. 2020; (doi:): ehaa895https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa895
- Global registry of acute coronary events (GRACE) hospital discharge risk score accurately predicts long-term mortality post-acute coronary syndrome.Am Heart J. 2007; 153 (doi: S0002-8703(06)00896-9 [pii]): 29-35
- Administrative database research has unique characteristics that can risk biased results.J Clin Epidemiol. 2012; 65 (doi:[doi]): 126-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2011.08.002
- Applied Logistic Regression,. 2013;
Declaration of competing interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest or financial interests to declare.