Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- What is value in health care?.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2477-2481https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1011024
- Understanding the role played by Medicare's patient experience points system in hospital reimbursement.Health Aff Proj Hope. 2016; 35: 1673-1680https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0691
- A systematic review of evidence on the links between patient experience and clinical safety and effectiveness.BMJ Open. 2013; 3e001570https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001570
- Relationship between patient reported experience (PREMs) and patient reported outcomes (PROMs) in elective surgery.BMJ Qual Saf. 2014; 23: 534-542https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2013-002707
- Is quality important to our patients? The relationship between surgical outcomes and patient satisfaction.BMJ Qual Saf. 2018; 27: 48-52https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2017-007071
- Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century.Inst Med. 2001; (accessed June 2, 2014)http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm-A-New-Health-System-for-the-21st-Century.aspx
- What ‘patient-centered’ should mean: confessions of an extremist.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w555-w565https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.28.4.w555
- Valuing patients’ experiences of healthcare processes: towards broader applications of existing methods.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 106: 194-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.01.013
- Strengthening the value of accreditation: Qmentum - one year later.Healthc Q Tor Ont. 2009; 12: 84-88
Palmer K, Bournes D, Taylor M. Room for improvement on patient surveys 2017. https://healthydebate.ca/2017/09/topic/room-improvement-patient-experience-surveys (accessed June 5, 2019).
Canadian Insitutes for Health Information. Canadian patient experiences survey - inpatient care: frequently asked questions. 2014.
Canadian Institute for Health Information. Canadian patient experiences survey—inpatient care procedure manual. 2014.
- Development, implementation, and public reporting of the HCAHPS survey.Med Care Res Rev. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558709341065
- Interventions to improve hospital patient satisfaction with healthcare providers and systems: a systematic review.BMJ Qual Saf. 2017; 26: 596-606https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2015-004758
- Measuring patient experience: concepts and methods.Patient. 2014; 7: 235-241https://doi.org/10.1007/s40271-014-0060-5
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. HCAHPA patient-level correlations. 2018.
- Correlation of inpatient experience survey items and domains with overall hospital rating.J Patient Exp. 2015; 2: 29-36https://doi.org/10.1177/2374373515615977
- Relative importance analysis: a useful supplement to regression analysis.J Bus Psychol. 2011; 26: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-010-9204-3
- Measures of relative importance for health-related quality of life.Qual Life Res Int J Qual Life Asp Treat Care Rehabil. 2012; 21: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-9914-7
- Valuing ecosystem services: toward better environmental decision-making.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2005
- Best–Worst scaling: what it can do for health care research and how to do it.J Health Econ. 2007; 26: 171-189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2006.04.002
- Best-Worst scaling: theory, methods and applications.Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge, UK2015
- Using Best-Worst scaling choice experiments to measure public perceptions and preferences for healthcare reform in Australia.Patient. 2012; 3: 275-283https://doi.org/10.2165/11539660-000000000-00000
Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI). Inpatient hospitalizations: volumes, length of stay and standardized rates. n.d.
- Estimating preferences for a dermatology consultation using Best-Worst scaling: comparison of various methods of analysis.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8: 76https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-8-76
- Relationship between patient satisfaction with inpatient care and hospital readmission within 30 days.Am J Manag Care. 2011; 17: 41-48
- Canadian valuation of EQ-5D health states: preliminary value set and considerations for future valuation studies.PloS One. 2012; 7: e31115https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0031115
- Comparing EQ-5D valuation studies: a systematic review and methodological reporting checklist.Med Decis Making. 2014; 34: 8-20https://doi.org/10.1177/0272989X13480852
EQ-5D value sets: inventory, comparative review and user guide | Agota Szende | Springer n.d. http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781402055102 (accessed August 12, 2016).
- Components of care vary in importance for overall patient-reported experience by type of hospitalization.Med Care. 2009; 47: 842-849https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e318197b22a
- Contribution of HCAHPS specific care experiences to global ratings varies across 7 countries: what can be learned for reporting these global ratings?.Med Care. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001077
Hospital stays in Canada | CIHI 2019. https://www.cihi.ca/en/hospital-stays-in-canada (accessed June 6, 2019).
- Bias in patient satisfaction surveys: a threat to measuring healthcare quality.BMJ Glob Health. 2018; 3https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2017-000694
- Are healthcare choices predictable? the impact of discrete choice experiment designs and models.Value Health. 2019; 22: 1050-1062https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2019.04.1924
- Using latent class analysis to model preference heterogeneity in health: a systematic review.PharmacoEconomics. 2018; 36: 175-187https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-017-0575-4
Conflict of interest: None.