- •Redundant trials exist despite previous findings of the same clinical question.
- •Existing high certainty evidence may not be considered when planning new trials.
- •Redundant trials should be avoided because of their ethical implications.
Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Learn About Clinical Studies - ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. [cited 2020 Apr 24]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/about-studies/learn#ReasonsForConducting.
- SPIRIT 2013 statement: defining standard protocol items for clinical trials.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 200-207https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-3-201302050-00583
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336: 924-926https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.39489.470347.AD
Chapter 14: Completing “Summary of findings” tables and grading the certainty of the evidence [Internet]. [cited 2020 Apr 24]. Available from: https://training.cochrane.org/handbook/current/chapter-14#section-14-5.
- GRADE guidelines: 13. Preparing summary of findings tables and evidence profiles-continuous outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 173-183https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2012.08.001
- GRADE guidelines: 12. Preparing summary of findings tables-binary outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 158-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2012.01.012
- How to increase value and reduce waste when research priorities are set.Lancet. 2014; 383 (https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-673662229-1): 156-165
- Reducing waste from incomplete or unusable reports of biomedical research.Lancet. 2014; 383: 267-276https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62228-X
- Increasing value and reducing waste in research design, conduct, and analysis.Lancet. 2014; 383: 166-175https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62227-8
- Cumulative meta-analysis of therapeutic trials for myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 248-254https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199207233270406
A WM. Ethics and medical research. In: Association WM, editor. Medical Ethics Manual, 2015, p. 98–115.
WMA - The World Medical Association-WMA Declaration of Helsinki – ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects [Internet]. [cited 2020 Apr 24]. Available from: https://www.wma.net/policies-post/wma-declaration-of-helsinki-ethical-principles-for-medical-research-involving-human-subjects/.
- Equipoise and the ethics of clinical research.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 141-145https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198707163170304
- Is the concept of clinical equipoise still relevant to research?.BMJ. 2017; 359: j5787https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j5787
- Seeding trials: Marketing gimmick or credible scientific research.Indian J Anaesth. 2019; 63: 235-238https://doi.org/10.4103/ija.IJA_831_18
- Marketing trials, marketing tricks - how to spot them and how to stop them.Trials. 2017; 18: 105https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-017-1827-5
- Do protocols for new randomised trials take previous similar trials into account? Cohort study of contemporary trial protocols.BMJ Open. 2019; 9 (e026661)https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026661
- Clinical trials should begin and end with systematic reviews of relevant evidence: 12 years and waiting.Lancet. 2010; 376: 20-21https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61045-8
- Why reports of clinical trials should include updated meta-analyses.BMJ Evid Based Med. 2020; 25: 1-2https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjebm-2019-111243
- All health researchers should begin their training by preparing at least one systematic review.J R Soc Med. 2016; 109: 264-268https://doi.org/10.1177/0141076816643954
- Review: cochrane handbook for systematic reviews for interventions.Research Synthesis Methods. 2011; 2 (Version 5.1.0, published 3/2011. Julian P.T. Higgins and Sally Green, Editors)https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.38
- Improving GRADE evidence tables part 1: a randomized trial shows improved understanding of content in summary of findings tables with a new format.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 74: 7-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.12.007
- Improving GRADE evidence tables part 2: a systematic survey of explanatory notes shows more guidance is needed.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 74: 19-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.12.008
- Improving GRADE evidence tables part 3: detailed guidance for explanatory footnotes supports creating and understanding GRADE certainty in the evidence judgments.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 74: 28-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.12.006
- The predictive validity of quality of evidence grades for the stability of effect estimates was low: a meta-epidemiological study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 70: 52-60https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.08.018
- Multiple-micronutrient supplementation for women during pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 3 (CD004905)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004905.pub6
- Influenza vaccines for preventing acute otitis media in infants and children.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 10CD010089https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010089.pub3
- Clinically-indicated replacement versus routine replacement of peripheral venous catheters.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 1 (CD007798)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007798.pub5
Declarations of interest: None.