Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The concepts and principles of equity and health.Int J Health Serv. 1992; 22: 429-445
- Eight Americas: investigating mortality disparities across races, counties, and race-counties in the United States.PLoS Med. 2006; 3: e260
- Global health inequalities: an international comparison.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006; 60: 928-936
- The global burden of disease: 2004 update Geneva.2008 (Available at)https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43942Date accessed: September 18, 2019
- Closing the gap in a generation: health equity through action on the social determinants of health.in: Final Report of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. World Health Organization, Geneva2008
- Health disparities and health equity: the issue is justice.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: S149-S155
- Our health equity plan.2019 (Available at)https://www.hqontario.ca/Portals/0/documents/health-quality/Health_Equity_Plan_Report_En.pdfDate accessed: March 10, 2020
- Taking action on the social determinants of health in clinical practice: a framework for health professionals.CMAJ. 2016; 188: E474-E483
- Toward health equity: a comparative analysis and framework for action.2009 (Available at)https://opha.on.ca/getmedia/c4536b04-2ce1-44e8-8b40-81bfe75be8f9/HealthEquityComparativeAnalysis-FinalReport-Mar2009.pdf.aspx?ext=.pdfDate accessed: September 18, 2019
- Health is a fundamental human right.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2017
- Rio political declaration on social determinants of health.World Health Organization, Rio de Janeiro2011
- UN General Assembly, Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. United Nations,
2015https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworldDate accessed: November 25, 2019
- Towards a global monitoring system for implementing the Rio Political Declaration on Social Determinants of Health: developing a core set of indicators for government action on the social determinants of health to improve health equity.Int J Equity Health. 2018; 17: 136
- GRADE equity guidelines 1: considering health equity in GRADE guideline development: introduction and rationale.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 90: 59-67
- Improving the use of research evidence in guideline development: introduction.Health Res Policy Syst. 2006; 4: 12
- WHO handbook for guideline development.2nd ed. World Health Organization, Italy2014: 45-56
- WHO handbook for guideline development.2nd ed. World Health Organization, Italy2014: 110
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336: 924-926
- GRADE Evidence to Decision (EtD) frameworks: a systematic and transparent approach to making well informed healthcare choices. 1: Introduction.BMJ. 2016; 353: i2016
- The GRADE Evidence to Decision (EtD) framework for health system and public health decisions.Health Res Policy Syst. 2018; 16: 45
- [GRADE Evidence to Decision (EtD) frameworks: a systematic and transparent approach to making well informed healthcare choices. 2: clinical practice guidelines].Gac Sanit. 2018; 32: 167.e1-167.e10
- GRADE equity guidelines 2: considering health equity in GRADE guideline development: equity extension of the guideline development checklist.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 90: 68-75
- GRADE equity guidelines 3: considering health equity in GRADE guideline development: rating the certainty of synthesized evidence.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 90: 76-83
- GRADE equity guidelines 4: considering health equity in GRADE guideline development: evidence to decision process.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 90: 84-91
- WHO guidelines approved by the guidelines review committee.(Available at)https://www.who.int/publications/guidelines/en/Date accessed: May 1, 2019
- Applying an equity lens to interventions: using PROGRESS ensures consideration of socially stratifying factors to illuminate inequities in health.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 56-64
- Breastfeeding in the context of Zika virus. World Health Organization, Geneva2016
- Guidelines on hepatitis B and C testing: policy brief. World Health Organization, Geneva2016
- Personal protective equipment in the context of filovirus disease outbreak response: rapid advice guideline. World Health Organization, Geneva2014
- WHO recommendations on newborn health. World Health Organization, Geneva2017
- Health equity: evidence synthesis and knowledge translation methods.Syst Rev. 2013; 2: 43
- How effects on health equity are assessed in systematic reviews of interventions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 2010: MR000028
Transparency declaration: The manuscript's guarantor (O.D.) affirms that this manuscript is an honest, accurate, and transparent account of the study being reported; that no important aspects of the study have been omitted; and that any discrepancies from the study as planned (and, if relevant, registered) have been explained.
Funding: The authors received no financial support for the research or the publication of this article.
Ethics approval: Not required.
Competing interest statement: All authors have completed the ICMJE uniform disclosure format http://www.icmje.org/coi_disclosure.pdf and declare: no support from any organization for the submitted work; Peter Tugwell recused himself from the entire editorial process. Holger Schunemann is the co-chair of the GRADE working group and reports no financial conflict of interest, Peter Tugwell is the recipient of Canada Research Chair in Health Equity (Tier 1d2016 to 2024) from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Vivian Welch reports grants from World Health Organization, outside the submitted work; no other relationships or activities could have influenced this work.
Contribution: V.W., Peter Tugwell, E.A., P.C., K.P., and H.S. conceived the study. O.D., V.W., Philip Tsang, J.P., and T.P. developed the screening and data extraction forms. O.D., Philip Tsang, M.L., C.M., A.A., and T.B. screened the reviews and extracted data. O.D. conducted data quality check, analyzed the data, and wrote the first draft of the manuscript. V.W., Peter Tugwell, E.A., P.C., K.P., H.S., A.A., M.L., and T.P. suggested revisions to the manuscript. All authors approved the final version of the manuscript.