- •The guidance on excluding non-English literature in evidence synthesis may not be suitable for topics where studies are likely to be from a non-English geography.
- •The routine practice of developing search strategies may not fit the rapidly changing concepts such as COVID-19 and we need living search strategies.
- •Out-of-date publishing and indexing policies need to be updated.
- Lefebvre C.
- Glanville J.
- Briscoe S.
- Littlewood A.
- Marshall C.
- Metzendorf M.
- et al.
1. Vocabulary chaos and controlled vocabulary
Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it.
2. Lesson 1: problem—many search strategies, none stable
3. Lesson 2: solution—the first living search strategy
- •COVID-19 diagnostic testing (Supplementary Concept)
- •COVID-19 serotherapy (Supplementary Concept)
- •COVID-19 drug treatment (Supplementary Concept)
- •COVID-19 vaccine (Supplementary Concept)
4. Lesson 3: future—updating publishing and indexing industry
- Shokraneh F.
- Excluding non-English publications from evidence-syntheses did not change conclusions: a meta-epidemiological study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2020; 118: 42-54
- Searching for and selecting studies.in: Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Li T. Page M.J. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (UK)2019: 67-107
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2.Nat Microbiol. 2020; 5: 536-544
- Naming the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the virus that causes it.(Available at)
- New MeSH supplementary concept record for the 2019 novel coronavirus, Wuhan, China.NLM Tech Bull. 2020; 432: b3
- New MeSH supplementary concept record for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).NLM Tech Bull. 2020; 432: b7
- Designing the Structured search experience: rethinking the Query-Builder Paradigm.Weave J Libr User Experience. 2020; 3https://doi.org/10.3998/weave.12535642.0003.102
- Lessons learned from COVID19 for science communication: long road from submission to getting indexed in MEDLINE and Embase.(Available at)
- Keeping up with studies on COVID-19: systematic search strategies and resources.BMJ. 2020; 369: m1601https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1601
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare they have no conflicts of interest.