- •Cochrane reviews took a median of 2 years to publish after publication of the protocol.
- •For 11% of reviews, the time from protocol to review publication was more than 5 years.
- •Cochrane reviews have been publishing slower in the past 5 years than previously.
- •A large variation existed between median publication times of different Cochrane Review Groups.
Study Design and Settings
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Following 411 Cochrane protocols to completion: a retrospective cohort study.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e3684
- Following Cochrane review protocols to completion 10 years later: a retrospective cohort study and author survey.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 111: 41-48
- Interventions for postoperative pain in children: an overview of systematic reviews.Paediatr Anaesth. 2017; 27: 893-904
- Cochrane reviews used more rigorous methods than non-Cochrane reviews: survey of systematic reviews in physiotherapy.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1021-1030
- Cochrane Skin Group systematic reviews are more methodologically rigorous than other systematic reviews in dermatology.Br J Dermatol. 2006; 155: 1230-1235
- Methodology and reports of systematic reviews and meta-analyses: a comparison of Cochrane reviews with articles published in paper-based journals.JAMA. 1998; 280: 278-280
- Methodological expectations of Cochrane intervention reviews.Cochrane, London2016
- Cochrane Review Groups and Networks.(Available at:)https://www.cochranelibrary.com/about/cochrane-review-groupsDate: 2019Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Syst Rev. 2015; 4: 1
- Planning a systematic review? Think protocols.(Available at:)http://www.prisma-statement.org/Protocols/WhyProtocolsDate: 2015Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.0. Cochrane 2019.(Available at:)https://training.cochrane.org/handbookDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- Methodological quality of systematic reviews in subfertility: a comparison of Cochrane and non-Cochrane systematic reviews in assisted reproductive technologies.Hum Reprod. 2012; 27: 3460-3466
- Cochrane and non-Cochrane systematic reviews in leading orthodontic journals: a quality paradigm?.Eur J Orthod. 2013; 35: 244-248
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: 447-455
- The reporting quality of meta-analyses improves: a random sampling study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 770-775
- The quality of reports of critical care meta-analyses in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews: an independent appraisal.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: 589-594
- A comparison of the quality of Cochrane reviews and systematic reviews published in paper-based journals.Eval Health Prof. 2002; 25: 116-129
- Proposing and registering new Cochrane reviews.(Available at:)https://community.cochrane.org/review-production/production-resources/proposing-and-registering-new-cochrane-reviewsDate accessed: February 13, 2020
- 2.3.3 Registering a protocol.(Available at:)http://handbook-5-1.cochrane.org/chapter_2/2_3_3_registering_a_protocol.htmDate: 2009Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- How quickly do systematic reviews go out of date? A survival analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 224-233
- Factors predicting completion and time to publication of Cochrane reviews.Open Med. 2009; 3: e210-e214
- The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Int J Surg. 2014; 12: 1495-1499
- Cochrane database of systematic reviews: all issues.(Available at:)https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/table-of-contentsDate: 2019Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Publication frequency - publish when ready.(Available at:)https://community.cochrane.org/organizational-info/resources/support-cet-csg/tech-support/support-cochrane-review-groups-crgs/publication-frequencyDate: 2014Date accessed: April 22, 2020
- Cochrane database of systematic reviews.(Available at:)https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/reviewsDate: 2019Date accessed: February 13, 2020
- Cochrane author satisfaction 2019.(Available at:)https://community.cochrane.org/sites/default/files/uploads/inline-files/Cochrane%20Author%20Satisfaction%20Survey%202019%20Report.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: April 25, 2020
- Bias due to changes in specified outcomes during the systematic review process.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9810
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews of biomedical resesarch: a cross-sectional study.PLoS Med. 2016; 13: e1002028
- Authorship and team science.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2433-2437
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Declaration of interest: All authors of this article are affiliated with the Cochrane Colorectal Group.