- •Emerging models for evidence ecosystems and learning health systems aim to solve well-recognized problems with getting evidence into policy and practice.
- •Advances in evidence-based medicine and digital transformation of health care offer great opportunities for overarching solutions.
- •A cyclical and fully integrated process, fully making use of trustworthy evidence from its production to documented increased value and reduced waste in health care and research, is needed.
- •Infrastructure to orchestrate, govern, and support joined-up actors is another requirement and perhaps insurmountable challenge.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- AHRQ and the National Academy of Medicine: a shared enthusiasm for learning health systems.(Available at)http://www.ahrq.gov/news/blog/ahrqviews/ahrq-and-nam.htmlDate: 2017Date accessed: July 11, 2017
- Pseudoinnovation: the development and spread of healthcare quality improvement methodologies.Int J Qual Health Care. 2009; 21: 153-159
- Health in the 21st century: putting data to work for stronger health systems, OECD Health Policy Studies.OECD Publishing, Paris2019
- Progress in evidence-based medicine: a quarter century on.Lancet. 2017; 390: 415-423
- Future of evidence ecosystem series: 1. Introduction — Evidence synthesis ecosystem needs dramatic change.J Clin Epidemiol. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2020.01.024
- Future of evidence ecosystem series: 2. Current opportunities and need for better tools and methods..J Clin Epidemiol. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2020.01.023
- Future of evidence ecosystem series: 3. From an evidence synthesis ecosystem to an evidence ecosystem..J Clin Epidemiol. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2020.01.027
- The ecosystem of evidence cannot thrive without efficiency of knowledge generation, synthesis and translation.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 110: 90-95
- MAGIC Evidence Ecosystem Foundation.(Available at)www.magicproject.orgDate accessed: January 25, 2020
- Creating clinical practice guidelines we can trust, use, and share: a new era is imminent.Chest. 2013; 144: 381-389
- Decision aids that really promote shared decision making: the pace quickens.BMJ. 2015; 350: g7624
- Introduction to BMJ rapid recommendations.BMJ. 2016; 354: i5191
- BMJ rapid recommendations.(Available at)https://www.bmj.com/rapid-recommendationsDate accessed: January 25, 2020
- Cochrane and MAGIC partnership.(Available at)https://www.cochrane.org/news/cochrane-and-magic-announce-partnershipDate accessed: January 25, 2020
- Living evidence consortium.(Available at)https://livingevidence.org.au/alec-membersDate accessed: January 25, 2020
- Institute of Medicine (US) Roundtable on evidence-based medicine.in: The learning healthcare system: workshop summary. National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2007 (Available at)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53494/Date accessed: January 25, 2020
- America C on the LHCS in, medicine I of a continuously learning health care system.National Academies Press (US), Washington, D.C2013 (Available at)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK207218/Date accessed: November 30, 2017
- The science of learning health systems: foundations for a new journal.Learn Health Syst. 2017; 1: e10020
- Agency for Health Care Quality and Research (AHRQ) evidence-based Care Transformation Support (ACTS) Initiative.(Available at)https://digital.ahrq.gov/actsDate accessed: January 25, 2020
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Strategy for patient-oriented research (SPOR).(Available at)https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/41204.htmlDate accessed: February 16, 2020
- Health in the 21st century: putting data to work for stronger health systems, OECD Health Policy Studies.OECD Publishing, Paris2019https://doi.org/10.1787/e3b23f8e-en (Available at)Date accessed: January 25, 2020
- SPOR evidence alliance.(Available at)https://sporevidencealliance.ca/Date accessed: February 20, 2020
- Clarifying differences between reviews within evidence ecosystems.Syst Rev. 2019; 8: 170
- The Learning Healthcare System: where are we now? A systematic review.J Biomed Inform. 2016; 64: 87-92
Conflicts of interests: P.O.V. and L.B. report no financial ties to, or funding from, the health industry. They are both cofounders of the not-for-profit MAGIC Evidence Ecosystem foundation (MAGIC; www.magicproject.org). MAGIC provides magicApp as a Software as a Service for organizations developing clinical practice guidelines, within its vision of a digital and trustworthy evidence ecosystem. P.O.V. receives a fixed part-time salary from MAGIC in his role as Chief Executive Officer and Board-Chair.