Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Top Cancer Researcher Fails to Disclose Corporate Financial Ties in Major Research Journals.The New York Times, 2018 (Available at:)https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/health/jose-baselga-cancer-memorial-sloan-kettering.htmlDate accessed: July 22, 2020
- Principles for identifying and assessing conflicts of interest. Conflict of interest in medical research, education, and practice.National Academies Press (US), Washington, DC2009
- Conflict of interest in clinical practice guideline development: a systematic review.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e25153
- Industry sponsorship and research outcome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;
- Underreporting of conflicts of interest in clinical practice guidelines: cross sectional study.BMC Med Ethics. 2013; 14: 19
- Frequency and type of conflicts of interest in the peer review of basic biomedical research funding applications: self-reporting versus manual detection.Sci Eng Ethics. 2016; 22: 189-197
- Accuracy of conflict-of-interest disclosures reported by physicians.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1466-1474
- Recommendations for the conduct, reporting, editing, and publication of scholarly work in medical journals.(Available at)http://www.ICMJE.org/recommendations/Date: 2016Date accessed: July 22, 2020
- Requirements of clinical journals for authors’ disclosure of financial and non-financial conflicts of interest: a cross sectional study.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0152301
- An official American Thoracic Society Policy statement: managing conflict of interest in professional societies.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 180: 564-580
- Reporting science and conflicts of interest in the lay press.PLoS One. 2007; 2: e1266
- Author self-disclosure compared with pharmaceutical company reporting of physician payments.Am J Med. 2016; 129: 59-63
- Discrepancy between financial disclosures of authors of clinical practice guidelines and reports by industry.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96
- Accuracy between AJSM author-reported disclosures and the centers for medicare and medicaid services open payments database.Am J Sports Med. 2018; 46: 969-976
- Discrepancies in spine surgeon conflict of interest disclosures between a national meeting and physician payment listings on device manufacturer web sites.Spine J. 2013; 13: 1780-1788
- Financial conflicts of interest among authors of urology clinical practice guidelines.Eur Urol. 2018;
- An evaluation of industry relationships among contributors to AAOS clinical practice guidelines and appropriate use criteria.JBJS. 2018; 100: e10
- Evaluating industry payments among dermatology clinical practice guidelines authors.JAMA Dermatol. 2017; 153: 1229-1235
- Discordance of conflict of interest self-disclosure and the centers of medicare and medicaid services.J Surg Res. 2017; 218: 18-22
- The impact of financial conflict of interest on surgical research: an observational study of published manuscripts.World J Surg. 2018; : 1-6
- From disclosure to transparency: the use of company payment data.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 81-86
- Conflicts of interest and disclosure in the American psychiatric association’s clinical practice guidelines.Psychother Psychosom. 2009; 78: 228-232
- Conflict of interest policies and industry relationships of guideline development group members: a cross-sectional study of clinical practice guidelines for depression.Account Res. 2017; 24: 99-115
- Inconsistencies between physician-reported disclosures at the AAOS annual meeting and industry-reported financial disclosures in the Open Payments Database.JBJS. 2016; 98: e90
- Evaluation of industry relationships among authors of otolaryngology clinical practice guidelines.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; 144: 194-201
- Discrepancies in self-reported and actual conflicts of interest in pediatric urology robotic surgery.J Urol. 2018;
- The accuracy of conflict-of-interest disclosures reported by plastic surgeons and industry.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018; 141: 1592-1599
- Disclosure of financial conflicts of interest in plastic and reconstructive surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 140: 635-639
- Declaration of patent applications as financial interests: a survey of practice among authors of papers on molecular biology in Nature.J Med Ethics. 2006; 32: 658-661
- Characteristics of physicians receiving large payments from pharmaceutical companies and the accuracy of their disclosures in publications: an observational study.BMC Med Ethics. 2012; 13: 24
- Comparison of conflicts of interest among published hernia researchers self-reported with the centers for medicare and medicaid services open payments database.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224: 800-804
- Assessment of conflicts of interest in robotic surgical studies: validating author's declarations with the open payments database.Ann Surg. 2018; 268: 86-92
- Under-reporting of conflicts of interest among trialists: a cross-sectional study.J R Soc Med. 2015; 108: 101-107
- American Academy of orthopaedic surgeons disclosure policy fails to accurately inform its members of potential conflicts of interest.Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2015; 44: E207-E210
- Sunshine Act: shedding light on inaccurate disclosures at a gynecologic annual meeting.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215 (661. e1-. e7)
- Financial conflicts of interest among oncologist authors of reports of clinical drug trials.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1426-1428
- Substantial variation in the interpretation of financial disclosure policies for orthopaedic society meetings.JBJS. 2011; 93: e75
- Conflicts of interest and disclosures in publications.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 5: 268-273.e1
Authors’ contributions: E.A. had full access to all of the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis. H.E.R., A.K., and E.A. contributed to study concept and design. Acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data were carried out by all authors. Drafting of the manuscript was performed by all authors. Critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content was carried out by H.E.R., A.K., and E.A. Statistical analysis was performed by A.K. and E.A. Study supervision was carried out by E.A.
Declarations of interests: None of the authors have a financial conflict of interest to report. A.K., M.H., and E.A. have conducted studies on conflicts of interest.
Funding: This project was funded by the American University of Beirut Faculty of Medicine's Medical Practice Plan funds.
Role of the funding source: The funder had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; or decision to submit the manuscript for publication. The authors and their contributions to the manuscript are independent from the funder.