Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Differences between protocols for randomized controlled trials and systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 98: 144-145
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015: elaboration and explanation.BMJ. 2015; 349: g7647
- A protocol is essential for a systematic review as randomization is for randomized controlled trials.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2016; 14: 1-2
- ROBIS: a new tool to assess risk of bias in systematic reviews was developed.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 69: 225-234
- Selective reporting of outcomes in randomised controlled trials in systematic reviews of cystic fibrosis.BMJ Open. 2013; 3: e002709
- Many scenarios exist for selective inclusion and reporting of results in randomized trials and systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 524-537
- An international registry of systematic-review protocols.Lancet. 2011; 377: 108-109
- Guidance notes for registering a systematic review on human studies.Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, York2016
- The benefits and challenges of using systematic reviews in international development research.J Dev Effect. 2012; 4: 445-455
- Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Li T. Page M.J. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.0 (updated July 2019). Cochrane. 2019 (Available from)www.training.cochrane.org/handbookDate accessed: November 5, 2019
- Joanna Briggs Institute Reviewers’ Manual: 2014 edition.The Joanna Briggs Institute, Adelaide2014
- The glacial pace of scientific publishing: why it hurts everyone and what we can do to fix it.FASEB J. 2012; 26: 3589-3593
- Journal peer review: a bar or bridge? An analysis of a paper’s revision history and turnaround time, and the effect on citation.Scientometrics. 2018; 114: 1087-1105
- The global burden of journal peer review in the biomedical literature: strong imbalance in the collective enterprise.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0166387
- Quality and value: The true purpose of peer review.Springer Nature, Berlin2006 (Available at)http://blogs.nature.com/peer-to-peer/2006/06/quality_and_value_the_true_pur.htmlDate accessed: November 5, 2019
- A descriptive analysis of the characteristics and the peer review process of systematic review protocols published in an open peer review journal from 2012 to 2017.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2019; 19: 57
- Systematic reviews with published protocols compared to those without: more effort, older search.J Clin Epidemiol. 2018; 95: 102-110
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Syst Rev. 2015; 4: 1
- Improving the quality of web surveys: the Checklist for Reporting Results of Internet E-Surveys (CHERRIES).J Med Internet Res. 2004; 6: e34
- SurveyMonkey. SurveyMonkey Inc, San Mateo, CA2019
- IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 25.0. IBM Corp, Armonk, NY2019
- Qualitative Inhaltsanalyse. Grundlagen und Techniken.Beltz Verlag, Weinheim/Basel2010
- Fees and waivers. London: BMJ Publishing Group Ltd.(Available at)https://authors.bmj.com/open-access/fees-waivers/Date accessed: November 5, 2019
- APC waivers and discounts. London: BioMed Central Ltd.(Available at)https://www.biomedcentral.com/getpublished/article-processing-charges/open-access-waiver-fundDate accessed: November 5, 2019
- More systematic reviews were registered in PROSPERO each year, but few records' status was up-to-date.J Clin Epidemiol. 2020; 117: 60-67
- Zombie reviews taking over the PROSPERO systematic review registry. It's time to fight back!.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 919-921
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors. Gift vouchers were funded by Witten/Herdecke University.
Conflict of interest: D.P. became a protocol editor of BMC Systematic Reviews in August 2019. All remaining authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.
Research data for this article: Because of the sensitive nature of the questions asked in this study, survey respondents were assured raw data would remain confidential and would not be passed on to third parties. However, we will provide additional summary data on reasonable request.