Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prognosis research in health care: concepts, methods, and impact.Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom2019
- Prognosis Research Strategy (PROGRESS) 2: prognostic factor research.PLoS Med. 2013; 10: e1001380
- The GRADE Working Group clarifies the construct of certainty of evidence.J Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 87: 4-13
- Duration of symptoms of respiratory tract infections in children: systematic review.BMJ. 2013; 347: f7027
- Use of GRADE for assessment of evidence about prognosis: rating confidence in estimates of event rates in broad categories of patients.BMJ. 2015; 350: h870
- Patients enrolled in coronary intervention trials are not representative of patients in clinical practice: results from the Euro Heart Survey on Coronary Revascularization.Eur Heart J. 2006; 27: 671-678
- Assessing bias in studies of prognostic factors.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 280-286
- PROBAST: a tool to assess the risk of bias and applicability of prediction model studies.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 170: 51-58
- Including non-randomized studies.in: Higgins J.P. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. The Cochrane Collaboration, Hoboken, New Jersey2010: 391-432
- Risk factors for gastrointestinal bleeding in critically ill patients.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 377-381
- Accuracy of D-dimer/fibrinogen ratio to predict pulmonary embolism: a prospective diagnostic study.J Thromb Haemost. 2003; 1: 708-713
- Multidetector-row computed tomography in suspected pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1760-1768
- Value of assessment of pretest probability of deep-vein thrombosis in clinical management.Lancet. 1997; 350: 1795-1798
- Prognostic value of right ventricular dysfunction in patients with haemodynamically stable pulmonary embolism: a systematic review.Eur Heart J. 2008; 29: 1569-1577
- Current and former smoking and risk for venous thromboembolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS Med. 2013; 10: e1001515
- Delirium in elderly patients and the risk of postdischarge mortality, institutionalization, and dementia: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2010; 304: 443-451
- Risk factors for one-year graft loss post-kidney transplantation.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019; 14: 1642-1650
- Biomarker studies: a call for a comprehensive biomarker study registry.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2011; 8: 171
- Almost all articles on cancer prognostic markers report statistically significant results.Eur J Cancer. 2007; 43: 2559-2579
- Role of Bcl-2 as a prognostic factor for survival in lung cancer: a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis.Br J Cancer. 2003; 89: 55
- Identification of clinically useful cancer prognostic factors: what are we missing?.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005; 97: 1023-1025
- Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994; 50: 1088-1101
- Detecting small-study effects and funnel plot asymmetry in meta-analysis of survival data: a comparison of new and existing tests.Res Synth Methods. 2018; 9: 41-50
- Comparison of two methods to detect publication bias in meta-analysis.JAMA. 2006; 295: 676-680
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Relative risk of cervical cancer in indigenous women in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Public Health Policy. 2012; 33: 148-164
Funding: No external funding.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
Competing interest statement: All authors declare they did not receive support from any organization for the submitted work; no financial relationships with any organizations that might have an interest in the submitted work in the previous 3 years exist nor do other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work. All authors are members of the GRADE working group.
Authors’ contributions: All authors contributed to the generation of the research hypothesis, participated to the discussion of its content, and approved the final version of the article. F.F., V.Z., and A.I. selected the systematic reviews used as examples and prepared summary of finding tables used in the process. F.F. drafted the article, and A.I. is the guarantor.
Data sharing: No additional data available.