Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- Guide to clinical practice guidelines: the current state of play.Int J Qual Health Care. 2016; 28: 122-128
- The GRADE system for rating clinical guidelines.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000094
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336: 924-926
- GRADE guidelines: 15. Going from evidence to recommendation-determinants of a recommendation's direction and strength.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 726-735
- Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations: a perspective.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000151
- Guidelines for reporting meta-epidemiological methodology research.Evid Based Med. 2017; 22: 139-142
- The development of clinical practice guidelines and guidance statements of the American College of Physicians: summary of methods.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153: 194-199
- Guidelines for the treatment of hypothyroidism: prepared by the American Thyroid Association task force on thyroid hormone replacement.Thyroid. 2014; 24: 1670-1751
- 2015 American Thyroid Association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2016; 26: 1-133
- 2017 Guidelines of the American Thyroid Association for the diagnosis and management of thyroid disease during pregnancy and the postpartum.Thyroid. 2017; 27: 315-389
- 2016 American thyroid association guidelines for diagnosis and management of hyperthyroidism and other causes of thyrotoxicosis.Thyroid. 2016; 26: 1343-1421
- American Thyroid Association guidelines for management of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2012; 22: 1104-1139
- Guideline methodology of the Society for vascular surgery including the experience with the GRADE framework.J Vasc Surg. 2011; 53: 1375-1380
- Impact of quality of evidence on the strength of recommendations: an empirical study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2009; 9: 120
- Scientific evidence underlying the ACC/AHA clinical practice guidelines.JAMA. 2009; 301: 831-841
- A comparative quality assessment of evidence-based clinical guidelines in endocrinology.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013; 78: 183-190
- The Endocrine Society Guidelines: when the confidence cart goes before the evidence horse.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 98: 3246-3252
- World Health Organization strong recommendations based on low-quality evidence (study quality) are frequent and often inconsistent with GRADE guidance.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 72: 98-106
- World Health Organization recommendations are often strong based on low confidence in effect estimates.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 629-634
- UpToDate adherence to GRADE criteria for strong recommendations: an analytical survey.BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e018593
- A number of factors explain why WHO guideline developers make strong recommendations inconsistent with GRADE guidance.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 70: 111-122
- The clinical and economic burden of a sustained increase in thyroid cancer incidence.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013; 22: 1252-1259
- Increased incidence of differentiated thyroid carcinoma and detection of subclinical disease.Can Med Assoc J. 2007; 177: 1357-1361
- Worldwide increasing incidence of thyroid cancer: update on epidemiology and risk factors.J Cancer Epidemiol. 2013; 2013: 10
- Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973-2002.JAMA. 2006; 295: 2164-2167
- Using systematic reviews in guideline development: the GRADE approach.Res Synth Methods. 2018; 10: 312-319
- Using machine-learning methods to support health-care professionals in making admission decisions.Int J Health Plann Manage. 2019; 34: e1236-e1246
- Improving the use of research evidence in guideline development: 8. Synthesis and presentation of evidence.Health Res Policy Syst. 2006; 4: 20
- Natural language processing systems for capturing and standardizing unstructured clinical information: a systematic review.J Biomed Inform. 2017; 73: 14-29
- Increasing value and reducing waste in biomedical research regulation and management.Lancet. 2014; 383: 176-185
- American thyroid association guidelines and statements: past, present, and future.Thyroid. 2018; 28: 692-706
Conflicts of interests: All authors have no relationships with financial/personal interests, belief, or activities that could appear to have influenced the objectivity of the submitted work. The manuscript's guarantor (RRG) affirms that the manuscript is an honest, accurate, and transparent account of the study being reported and that no important aspects of the study have been omitted.
Disclosures: all authors declare having no conflicts of interests or financial disclosure.
Author's contributions: R.R.-G. conceived the idea. K.G.B.-O., E.G.-D.T., D.A.C.-G., and M.G.-L. extracted all data. K.G.B.-O. and E.G.D.-T. analyzed the data. K.G.B.-O. wrote the initial draft of the manuscript with input of E.G.D.-T. and R.R.-G. J.G.G.-G., K.R.-C., and M.R.G. provided substantial observations, feedback, and edition to the final draft of the article. All authors agreed on the final version of the article.