Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The N-of-1 randomized controlled trial: clinical usefulness. Our three-year experience.Ann Intern Med. 1990; 112: 293-299
- Single-case research designs: methods for clinical and applied settings.Oxford University Press, New York1982
- A clinician’s guide for conducting randomized trials in individual patients.Can Med Assoc J. 1988; 139: 497-503
OCEBM Levels of Evidence Working Group, The Oxford levels of evidence 2, 2011, Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. Available at www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=5653. Accessed April 28, 2016.
- The controlled single subject trial.Scand J Prim Health Care. 1991; 9: 17-21
- Suspended judgment: N-of-1 trials.Controlled Clin Trials. 1993; 14: 1-5
- CONSORT extension for reporting N-of-1 trials (CENT) 2015 statement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 76: 9-17
- Revision of a method quality rating scale for single-case experimental designs and n-of-1 trials: the 15-item Risk of Bias in N-of-1 Trials (RoBiNT) Scale.Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2013; 23: 619-638
- Challenges to evidence-based medicine.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2005; 40: 27-35
- Individual (N-of-1) trials can be combined to give population comparative treatment effect estimates: methodologic considerations.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1312-1323
- Design and implementation of N-of-1 trials: a user’s guide. An ethical framework for N-of-1-Trials: clinical care, quality improvement, or human subject research? (Chapter 2).(AHRQ Publication No.13(14)-EHC122-EF) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2014
- Design and implementation of N-of-1 trials: a user’s guide. Statistical design and analytic considerations for N-of-1 trials (Chapter 4).(AHRQ Publication No.13(14)-EHC122-EF) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2014
- An expectancy-attribution model of the effects of placebos.Psychol Rev. 1981; 88: 408-437
- A randomized, prospective pilot study of patient expectancy and antidepressant outcome.Psychol Med. 2013; 43: 975-982
- Seeking the patient’s perspective: a qualitative assessment of EuroQol, COOP-WONCA Charts and MYMOP2.Qual Life Res. 2004; 13: 871-881
- Combining single patient (N-of-1) trials to estimate population treatment effects and to evaluate individual patient responses to treatment.J Clin Epidemiol. 1997; 50: 401-410
- Bayesian hierarchical models.Methods Enzymol. 2000; 321: 305-330
Sampson M, Shamseer L, Bukutu C, Barrowman N, Moher D, Vohra S. Systematic reviews of N-of-1 methods, analysis and meta-analysis. Cochrane Canada 8th Annual Symposium, Ottawa: 2010.
- N-of-1 trials in the medical literature: a systematic review.Med Care. 2011; 49: 761-768
- CONSORT 2010 Statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMJ. 2010; 340: c332
- Does the CONSORT checklist improve the quality of reports of randomized controlled trials? A systematic review.Med J Aust. 2006; 185: 263-267
Conflict of interest: L.H. is supported by a CIHR New Investigator Salary Award.
Funding: Funding support was provided in part by the Lotte and John Hecht Memorial Foundation .