Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- Investigating and dealing with publication and other biases.in: Egger M. Smith G.D. Altman D.G. Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context. 2nd ed. BMJ Publishing Group, London, United Kingdom2001: 189-208
- Dissemination and publication of research findings: an updated review of related biases.Health Technol Assess. 2010; 14 (ix–xi, 1–193): iii
- Publication bias in reports of animal stroke studies leads to major overstatement of efficacy.PLoS Biol. 2010; 8: e1000344
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e78
- Improving the quality of reports of meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials: the QUOROM statement. Quality of Reporting of Meta-analyses.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1896-1900
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group.JAMA. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2535
- Association of journal quality indicators with methodological quality of clinical research articles.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2805-2808
- Systematic reviews and meta-analyses of preclinical studies: publication bias in laboratory animal experiments.Lab Anim. 2011; 45: 225-230
- Financial ties and concordance between results and conclusions in meta-analyses: retrospective cohort study.BMJ. 2007; 335: 1202-1205
- Addressing reporting biases.in: Higgins J. Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of intervention. Version 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). New York: The Cochrane Collaboration, 2011 ([Chapter 10]. Available at)Accessed May 7, 2013)
Web of knowledge. Available at http://www.thompson.isi.com. Accessed May 7, 2013.
- Assessment of funnel plot asymmetry and publication bias in reproductive health meta-analyses: an analytic survey.Reprod Health. 2007; 4: 3
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.BMJ. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Contour-enhanced meta-analysis funnel plots help distinguish publication bias from other causes of asymmetry.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 991-996
- Exploring and accounting for publication bias in mental health: a brief overview of methods.Evid Based Ment Health. 2014; 17: 11-15
- Development of AMSTAR: a measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007; 7: 10
- AMSTAR is a reliable and valid measurement tool to assess the methodological quality of systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1013-1020
- Effectiveness of disease-management programs for improving diabetes care: a meta-analysis.CMAJ. 2011; 183: E115-E127
- Recommendations for examining and interpreting funnel plot asymmetry in meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4002
- The prevalence and effect of publication bias in orthopaedic meta-analyses.J Orthop Sci. 2011; 16: 238-244
- Publication bias in antipsychotic trials: an analysis of efficacy comparing the published literature to the US Food and Drug Administration database.PLoS Med. 2012; 9: e1001189
- Selective publication of antidepressant trials and its influence on apparent efficacy.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 252-260
- Systematic review of the empirical evidence of study publication bias and outcome reporting bias.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e3081
Competing interests: T.A.F. has received honoraria for speaking at CME meetings sponsored by Asahi Kasei, Eli Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline, Mochida, MSD, Otsuka, Pfizer, Shionogi, and Tanabe-Mitsubishi. He is a diplomate of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. He has received royalties from Igaku-Shoin, Seiwa-Shoten, and Nihon Bunka Kagaku-sha. He is on advisory board for Sekisui Chemicals and Takeda Science Foundation. The Japanese Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology; the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare; and the Japan Foundation for Neuroscience and Mental Health have funded his other research projects; no other relationships or activities that could appear to have influenced the submitted work.