Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Preparing and updating systematic reviews of randomized controlled trials of health care.Milbank Q. 1993; 71: 411-437
- Reporting, updating, and correcting systematic reviews of the effects of health care.BMJ. 1994; 309: 862-865
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e78
- Chapter 3. Maintaining reviews: updates, amendments and feedback.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for systematic reviews of intervention. Version 5.0.0 [updated February 2008]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008 (Available at)Accessed April 12, 2008)
- Current processes of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: refining evidence-based recommendation development.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 117-122
- Effective health care program [website].2010 (Available at)Accessed February 23, 2011)
- A systematic review identified few methods and strategies describing when and how to update systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 1095-1104
- Merriam-Webster’s collegiate dictionary.10th edition. Merriam-Webster, Springfield, MA1996
- Systematic reviews: when is an update an update?.Lancet. 2006; 367: 881-883
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Version 5.0.2 [updated September 2009]. The Cochrane Collaboration, 2009 (Available at)Accessed December 21, 2009)
- Updating systematic reviews: an international survey.PLoS One. 2010; 5: e9914
- Surveillance search techniques identified the need to update systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 755-762
- Effectiveness and efficiency of search methods in systematic reviews of complex evidence: audit of primary sources.BMJ. 2005; 331: 1064-1065
- Assessment of the need to update comparative effectiveness reviews: report of an initial rapid program assessment (2005-2009).Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), Rockville, MD2009
Relevo R, Balshem H. Finding evidence for comparing medical interventions. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; January 2011. Methods Guide for Comparative Effectiveness Reviews. AHRQ Publication No. 11-EHC021-EF. Available at http://effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/.
- When should clinical guidelines be updated?.BMJ. 2001; 323: 155-157
- Assessing the need to update prevention guidelines: a comparison of two methods.Int J Qual Health Care. 2004; 16: 399-406
- Investing in updating: how do conclusions change when Cochrane systematic reviews are updated?.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2005; 5: 33
- How quickly do systematic reviews go out of date? A survival analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 224-233
Garritty C, Tricco A, Sampson M, Tsertsvadze A, Shojania K, Eccles M, et al. Updating Systematic Reviews: The Policies and Practices of Health Care Organizations Involved in Evidence Synthesis. Chapter 4: A Framework for Updating Systematic Reviews [MSc thesis]. University of Toronto: Ontario, Canada; 2009. pp. 53–9.
- An evidence-based practice guideline for the peer review of electronic search strategies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 944-952
- Clinical trial registration: a statement from the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1363-1364
- Survey of public information about ongoing clinical trials funded by industry: evaluation of completeness and accessibility.BMJ. 2002; 325: 528-531
- FDA: untapped source of unpublished trials.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1402-1403
- What contributions do languages other than English make on the results of meta-analyses?.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 964-972
- Does the inclusion of grey literature influence estimates of intervention effectiveness reported in meta-analyses?.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1228-1231
Bergerhoff K, Ebrahim S, Paletta G. Do we need to consider ‘in process citations’ for search strategies? 12th Cochrane Colloquium in Ottawa; 2004; Ontario, Canada. pp. 126.
- Identifying null meta-analyses that are ripe for updating.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2003; 3: 13
- Cumulative meta-analysis of therapeutic trials for myocardial infarction.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 248-254
- Cumulative meta-analysis of clinical trials builds evidence for exemplary medical care.J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 45-57
- A survey of clinical trials of antibiotic prophylaxis in colon surgery: evidence against further use of no-treatment controls.N Engl J Med. 1981; 305: 795-799
- Problems induced by meta-analyses.Stat Med. 1991; 10: 971-979
- Cumulative meta-analysis: a consideration of indicators of sufficiency and stability.Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2001; 27: 1450-1462
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
- The contributions of authors.JAMA. 2000; 284: 89-91
- A pilot study on the use of decision theory and value of information analysis as part of the NHS Health Technology Assessment programme.Health Technol Assess. 2004; 8 (iii): 1-103