Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
- The existence of publication bias and risk factors for its occurrence.JAMA. 1990; 263: 1385-1389
- Dissemination and publication of research findings: an updated review of related biases.Health Technol Assess. 2010; 14: 1-219
- Publication and related biases.Health Technol Assess. 2000; 4: 1-115
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Available at)Accessed Dec 4, 2009) (
- Searching the right database. A comparison of four databases for psychiatry journals.Health Libr Rev. 1999; 16: 151-156
- Searching for studies.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. Version 5.0.2 (updated September 2009). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2009 (Available at)Accessed Dec 4, 2009)
- WHO facilitates international collaboration in setting standards for clinical trial registration.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1829-1831
- Clinical trial registration: a statement from the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1363-1364
- Compulsory registration of clinical trials.BMJ. 2004; 329: 637-638
- Clinical trial registration: looking back and moving ahead.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1909-1911
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in childhood depression: systematic review of published versus unpublished data.Lancet. 2004; 363: 1341-1345
- The costs, effects and cost-effectiveness of strategies to increase coverage of routine immunizations in low- and middle-income countries: systematic review of the grey literature.Bull World Health Organ. 2004; 82: 689-696
- Selective publication of antidepressant trials and its influence on apparent efficacy.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 252-260
- Searching for unpublished trials in Cochrane reviews may not be worth the effort.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 838-844.e3
- Meta-analysis: unresolved issues and future developments.BMJ. 1998; 316: 221-225
- How important are comprehensive literature searches and the assessment of trial quality in systematic reviews? Empirical study.Health Technol Assess. 2003; 7: 1-76
- The inclusion of reports of randomised trials published in languages other than English in systematic reviews.Health Technol Assess. 2003; 7: 1-90
- Language bias in neuroscience—is the Tower of Babel located in Germany?.Eur Psychiatry. 2004; 19: 230-232
- No evidence of bias in the process of publication of diagnostic accuracy studies in stroke submitted as abstracts.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 425-430
Little J, Higgins JPT, editors. The HuGENet™ HuGE review handbook, version 1.0. Available at http://www.hugenet.ca. Accessed Dec 4, 2009.
- Local literature bias in genetic epidemiology: an empirical evaluation of the Chinese literature.PLoS Med. 2005; 2 ([see comment]): e334
- The case of the misleading funnel plot.BMJ. 2006; 333: 597-600
- The appropriateness of asymmetry tests for publication bias in meta-analyses: a large survey.CMAJ. 2007; 176: 1091-1096
- Addressing reporting biases.in: Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Intervention. Version 5.0.1 (updated September 2008). The Cochrane Collaboration, 2008 (Available at)Accessed Dec 4, 2009)
Competing interest: none declared.
Authors' contributions: F.S., Y.K.L., L.H., J.J.R., A.J.S., and I.H. developed the review protocol. S.P.B., J.J.R., and F.S. conducted literature search. S.P.B., F.S., L.H., Y.K.L., J.J.R., C.B.H., C.S.K., and C.P. extracted and/or checked data from included studies. F.S., A.J.S., and I.H. provided methodological support. S.P.B., F.S., C.S.K., and C.P. analyzed data and drafted the article. All authors commented on the final manuscript.