Pragmatic trials aim to inform a health care decision, whereas explanatory trials focus on understanding [
]. As a consequence, pragmatic trials are undertaken under conditions very similar to the usual care setting, whereas explanatory trials are undertaken under ideal conditions to maximize success.
- Schwartz D.
- Lellouch J.
Explanatory and pragmatic attitudes in therapeutical trials.
J Chronic Dis. 1967; 20 ([reprinted in this issue; J Clin Epidemiol 2009;62:499–505]): 637-648
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Explanatory and pragmatic attitudes in therapeutical trials.J Chronic Dis. 1967; 20 ([reprinted in this issue; J Clin Epidemiol 2009;62:499–505]): 637-648
- A new “Mechanistic-Practical” framework for designing and interpreting randomized trials.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62 ([in this issue]): 479-484
- Practical clinical trials: increasing the value of clinical research for decision making in clinical and health policy.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1624-1632
- Users' guides to the medical literature: XIV. How to decide on the applicability of clinical trial results to your patient. Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group.JAMA. 1998; 279: 545-549
- Schünemann and for the GRADE Working Group. What is “quality of evidence” and why is it important to clinicians?.BMJ. 2008; 336: 995-998
- What are pragmatic trials?.BMJ. 1998; 316: 285
- Pragmatic controlled clinical trials in primary care: the struggle between external and internal validity.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2003; 3: 28
- Explanatory versus management trials.in: Haynes R.B. Sackett D.L. Guyatt G.H. Tugwell P. Clinical epidemiology: how to do clinical practice research. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2006
- A pragmatic-exlanatory continuum indicator summary (PRECIS): a tool to help trial designers.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62 ([in this issue]): 464-475
Accepted: August 31, 2008
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.