The purpose of this study was to determine the difference in the prevalence of panic attacks among adults in the US population between 1980 and 1995.
Data were drawn from the Epidemiologic Catchment Area Program study (1980) and the Midlife Development in the United States Survey (1996), which are epidemiologic survey studies with samples representative of the US adult population. A chi-square test was used to determine the difference between the prevalence of panic attack in 1980 and 1995.
There was a statistically significant increase in the prevalence of panic attacks among adults 25 to 74 years of age from 1980 to 1995 in the United States (12.7% versus 5.3%; χ2 = 135.2, df = 1, P<.0001).
These data suggest that there may have been an increase in the prevalence of panic attacks among adults 25 to 74 years of age in the general US population over the past two decades.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetic epidemiology and schizophrenia: a study of reproductive fitness.Schizophr Res. 2001; 47: 233-241
- Major depression and its associated morbidity and quality of life in a random, representative Australian sample.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2000; 34: 1022-1029
- First-episode non-affective psychosis in a total urban population: a 5-year follow-up.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2001; 36: 332-337
- Lifetime comorbidity of panic attacks and major depression in a population-based study: age of onset.Psychol Med. 1996; 26: 991-996
- Prevalence of anxiety disorders and their comorbidity with mood and addictive disorders.Br J Psychiatry Suppl. 1998; 34: 24-28
- Anxiety and the schizophrenic process: clinical and epidemiological evidence.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2001; 36: 235-243
- Panic attacks in psychosis.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2002; 105: 14-19
- Relationship of panic attacks to paranoia.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 1469
Goodwin RD, Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ. Panic attacks and psychotic symptoms among youth. Am J Psychiatry, in press.
- Robins L.N. Regier D.A. Psychiatric disorders in America. The Free Press, New York1991
- Impairment in pure and comorbid generalized anxiety disorder and major depression at 12 months in two national surveys.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 1915-1923
- Suicide and cancer: I. Demographic and social characteristics of cancer patients who committed suicide in Sweden; 1973–1976.J Psychosocial Oncol. 1985; 3: 17-30
- The design of the Epidemiologic Catchment Area surveys.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1984; 41: 942-948
- The diagnostic interview schedule.in: Eaton W.W. Kessler L.G. Epidemiologic field methods in psychiatry: the NIMH epidemiologic catchment area program. Academic Press, New York1984
- National Institute of Mental Health Diagnostic Interview Schedule: its history, characteristics, and validity.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1981; 38: 381-389
- Recent care of common mental disorders in the United States: prevalence and conformance with evidence-based recommendations.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 284-292
- The World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview Short Form (CIDI-SF).Int J Methods in Psychiatr Res. 1998; 7: 171-185
- Panic attacks in the community: social morbidity and health care utilization.JAMA. 1991; 265: 742-746
- Types of panic attacks and their association with psychiatric disorder and physical illness.Compr Psychiatry. 1999; 40: 469-477
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 4th edition. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC1994
- The age of anxiety? Birth cohort change in anxiety and neuroticism, 1952–1993.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2000; 79: 1007-1021
- Worldwide variation in prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and atopic eczema.Lancet. 1998; 351: 1225-1232
- Panic disorder and asthma: causes, effects, and research implications.J Psychosom Res. 1998; 44: 43-52
- Psychiatric morbidity in patients with chronic airflow obstruction.Med J Aust. 1987; 146: 305-307
Accepted: May 22, 2002
© 2003 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.