Our study [
] discussed issues of misclassification in the Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization (APNCU) index that would preclude its use in studying the association of prenatal care use and birth outcomes (preterm birth and low birth weight). We stand by our recommendation that this index should not be used to study the association of prenatal care and low birth weight (LBW), due to a misclassification problem.
- Koroukian S.M
- Rimm A.A
The “Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization” (APNCU) Index to study low birth weight: is the index biased?.
J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 296-305
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Clinical Epidemiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The “Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization” (APNCU) Index to study low birth weight: is the index biased?.J Clin Epidemiol. 2002; 55: 296-305
- Guidelines for perinatal care. 3rd ed. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Washington, DC, Elk Grove Village, IL1992 (p. 50)
- The Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization Index: its US distribution and association with low birth weight.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1468-1489
© 2003 Elsevier Science Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.