Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Epidemiology and reporting characteristics of systematic reviews.PLos Med. 2007; 4: e78
- Undue industry influences that distort healthcare research, strategy, expenditure and practice: a review.Eur J Clin Invest. 2013; 43: 469-475
- Industry-supported meta-analyses compared with meta-analyses with non-profit or no support: differences in methodological quality and conclusions.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 9: 60
- Cochrane reviews compared with industry supported meta-analyses and other meta-analyses of the same drugs: systematic review.BMJ. 2006; 333: 782
- Treatment success in cancer: industry compared to publicly sponsored randomized controlled trials.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e58711
- Industry sponsorship and research outcome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 12: MR000033
- Relationship between drug company funding and outcomes of clinical psychiatric research.Psychol Med. 2006; 36: 1647-1656
U.S. Anti-Depressant Market - Old Fashion Branding Could Save The Day. Available at http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/p35qmw/u_s. Accessed February 26, 2014.
- Suicidality in pediatric patients treated with antidepressant drugs.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2006; 63: 332-339
Relationship between psychotropic drugs and pediatric suicidality: review and evaluation of clinical data. Available at http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/04/briefing/2004-4065b1-10-TAB08-Hammads-Review.pdf]. Accessed February 26, 2014.
- Initial severity and antidepressant benefits: a meta-analysis of data submitted to the Food and Drug Administration.PLos Med. 2008; 5: e45
- Most meta-analyses of drug interventions have narrow scopes and many focus on specific agents.J Clin Epidemiol. 2013; 66: 371-378
- From disclosure to transparency: the use of company payment data.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 81-86
- Vilazodone hydrochloride, a combined SSRI and 5-HT1A receptor agonist for major depressive disorder.Consult Pharm. 2012; 27: 857-867
- A systematic review of augmentation strategies for patients with major depressive disorder.Psychopharmacol Bull. 2009; 42: 57-90
- Treatment effects of selegiline transdermal system on symptoms of major depressive disorder: a meta-analysis of short-term, placebo-controlled, efficacy trials.Psychopharmacol Bull. 2007; 40: 15-28
- Industry-funded versus publicly funded trials: are the standards the same?.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 1590-1592
- Industry funding and the reporting quality of large long-term weight loss trials.Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32: 1531-1536
- Association of industry funding with the outcome and quality of randomized controlled trials of drug therapy for rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 64: 2059-2067
- Sponsorship-related outcome selection bias in published economic studies of triptans: systematic review.Med Decis Making. 2012; 32: 237-245
- Industry sponsorship and selection of comparators in randomized clinical trials.Eur J Clin Invest. 2010; 40: 172-182
- Financial ties and concordance between results and conclusions in meta-analyses: retrospective cohort study.BMJ. 2007; 335: 1202-1205
- Financial conflicts of interest and conclusions about neuraminidase inhibitors for influenza: an analysis of systematic reviews.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 513-518
- Promotional tone in reviews of menopausal hormone therapy after the Women's Health Initiative: an analysis of published articles.PLos Med. 2011; 8: e1000425
- Systematic analysis of hydroxyethyl starch (HES) reviews: proliferation of low-quality reviews overwhelms the results of well-performed meta-analyses.Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38: 1258-1271
- Partisan perspectives in the medical literature: a study of high frequency editorialists favoring hormone replacement therapy.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 914-919
- Profile of adverse events with duloxetine treatment: a pooled analysis of placebo-controlled studies.Drug Saf. 2010; 33: 393-407
Report development. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epc/. Accessed June 2, 2014.
Finding what works in health care: standards for systematic reviews. Available at http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13059
- Content area experts as authors: helpful or harmful for systematic reviews and meta-analyses?.BMJ. 2012; 345: e7031
- Should journals stop publishing research funded by the drug industry?.BMJ. 2014; 348: g171
- Overlapping meta-analyses on the same topic: survey of published studies.BMJ. 2013; 347: f4501
Conflict of interest: None.
Funding: No funds were received for this study. S.E. is supported by MITACS Elevate and SickKids Restracomp Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards, S.B. by an Ontario Graduate Scholarship and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Scholarship, C.M. by a graduate scholarship from the Ontario Mental Health Association, and the work of JPAI is supported by an unrestricted gift from Sue and Bob O'Donnell. Sponsors providing individual financial support to authors did not have a role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication. S.E. and J.P.A.I. had full access to all the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.