Study Design and Setting
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Systematic reviews: synthesis of best evidence for clinical decisions.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 126: 376-380
- Rationale for systematic reviews.BMJ. 1994; 309: 597-599
- Of studies, syntheses, synopses, summaries, and systems: the "5S" evolution of information services for evidence-based healthcare decisions.Evid Based Med. 2006; 11: 162-164
- Preparing and updating systematic reviews of randomized controlled trials of health care.Milbank Q. 1993; 71: 411-437
- Systematic reviews: when is an update an update?.Lancet. 2006; 367: 881-883
- When and how to update systematic reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; (MR000023)
- How important are comprehensive literature searches and the assessment of trial quality in systematic reviews? Empirical study.Health Technol Assess. 2003; 7: 1-76
- Estimating time to conduct a meta-analysis from number of citations retrieved.JAMA. 1999; 282: 634-635
- How many Cochrane reviews are needed to cover existing evidence on the effects of healthcare interventions?.Evid Based Med. 2003; 8: 100-101
- An overview of the design and methods for retrieving high-quality studies for clinical care.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2005; 5: 20
- The effects of excluding patients from the analysis in randomised controlled trials: meta-epidemiological study.BMJ. 2009; 339 (b3244)
- Empirical evidence of bias. Dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials.JAMA. 1995; 273: 408-412
- Statistical methods for assessing the influence of study characteristics on treatment effects in ‘meta-epidemiological’ research.Stat Med. 2002; 21: 1513-1524
- McMaster PLUS: a cluster randomized clinical trial of an intervention to accelerate clinical use of evidence-based information from digital libraries.J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006; 13: 593-600
- Second-order peer review of the medical literature for clinical practitioners.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1801-1808
- Enhancing retrieval of best evidence for health care from bibliographic databases: calibration of the hand search of the literature.Stud Health Technol Inform. 2001; 84: 390-393
- Optimal search strategies for retrieving scientifically strong studies of treatment from Medline: analytical survey.BMJ. 2005; 330: 1179
- EMBASE search strategies achieved high sensitivity and specificity for retrieving methodologically sound systematic reviews.J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 29-33
- Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound treatment studies in EMBASE.J Med Libr Assoc. 2006; 94: 41-47
- Principles of medical statistics.Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL/London, UK2002
- Should meta-analysts search Embase in addition to Medline?.J Clin Epidemiol. 2003; 56: 943-955
- Meta-analysis in clinical trials.Control Clin Trials. 1986; 7: 177-188
Bio-stat I. Comprehensive meta-analysis. Available at: www.meta-analysis.com. 2009.
Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Available at: http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/cochrane/handbook/chapter_3/3_1_2_how_frequently_should_a_review_be_revisited.htm (Archived by WebCite® at: http://www.webcitation.org/5ppJxEdDH). Accessed December 19, 2009.
- How quickly do systematic reviews go out of date? A survival analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 224-233
- Retrieving randomized controlled trials from medline: a comparison of 38 published search filters.Health Info Libr J. 2009; 26: 187-202
- The number needed to retrieve: a practically useful measure of information retrieval?.Health Info Libr J. 2006; 23: 229-232
- MEDLINE, EMBASE, and Cochrane index most primary studies but not abstracts included in orthopedic meta-analyses.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1261-1267
- Identifying clinical trials in the medical literature with electronic databases: MEDLINE alone is not enough.Control Clin Trials. 2000; 21: 476-487
- An alternative to the hand searching gold standard: validating methodological search filters using relative recall.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2006; 6: 33
Conflict of interest: The McMaster Premium LiteratUre Service belongs to McMaster University, a not-for-profit publicly funded institution.